Indian Runner Ducks

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

• Advertisement

Indian Runner Ducks

Postby Ex Moderator » 29 Oct 2005, 14:15

This thread is for Indian Ducks.
Ex Moderator

Liked in: 1 post

Advertisement

Postby james419 » 14 Jan 2006, 20:09

Does any one know where I can buy some Indian Runner ducks this spring in France
Any recommendations would be appreciated
James
james419

Postby Heather » 16 May 2006, 16:24

Bump for LMS ;)
Heather
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Loudmouth Schnook » 02 Jun 2006, 15:19

The ones standing up, with Solo the leader of the pack...
Fortunately Ah keep ma feathuhs numbuhed for, for just such an emuhgency...

www.hebridean-life.com

"If you can't be good, at least be honest!"
Loudmouth Schnook
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby alexa » 07 Aug 2006, 00:59

hey, can anyone tell me how to sex these ducks!

lex :D
alexa

Postby Old Man of the 80's » 12 Aug 2006, 07:52

Is it similar for all ducks? Lads have the curled feathers at the tail, girlies have straight tails.
Old Man of the 80's

Postby Loudmouth Schnook » 17 Aug 2006, 13:05

That's pretty much true of most domestic ducks, although with the Aylesburys, the drake and duck look exactly alike - it's only the voice that's different. If only cockerels could be quiet like the drakes...
Fortunately Ah keep ma feathuhs numbuhed for, for just such an emuhgency...

www.hebridean-life.com

"If you can't be good, at least be honest!"
Loudmouth Schnook
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Sprarkleby » 16 Oct 2006, 12:50

My runners...
Sprarkleby

Postby Green Pig » 18 Oct 2006, 12:57

Oldman of the 80's,

I think you could be a god send!! My wife purchased some Indian Runners from an auction a while back (while i was transporting all the fencing she had also bought), i am sure that she bought more than 1 Drake but wasn't sure how to prove it with out paying large vet bills.

So ALL Indian Runner Drakes have curly tails?
Is it true of Pekin Drakes as well (she was on a roll!!)

Can more than one Drake run in a pack of 5 Runners? I am thinking not- just like chickens. I feel i may have a Drake looking for a new home soon.

Now all i have got to do is work out which type of Indian Runner she got!!
Green Pig

Postby beausam » 22 Oct 2006, 12:17

drakes can live together with no problem.
Yes if the IRD has a curly tail it's a drake.
What colours are they?
will post some pics of my chocolate runner when it stops raining!!!
beausam

Postby Green Pig » 23 Oct 2006, 08:09

Well the one good thing about the Salisbury Acution for me was that i was able, i think to identify the breeds. We have two fawn & whites, 1 white (drake and is about 2inches taller than the rest)(which i did know already :wink: !!) and two apricots - the female is all light brown with dark brown nearly black bill. The lad (who we call Dopey- cos he isn't right....) has a grey head, yellow/green bill and a mid brown on his back turning to a grey white on the under carriage. A very obvious boundary on the neck between the grey and brown. I think he is a he and an apricot.
not sure if it is the rain or not - but neither of the two i believed to be drakes had curly tails at the weekend - though they both have had before.
Last edited by Green Pig on 23 Oct 2006, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Green Pig

Postby beausam » 23 Oct 2006, 09:59

the last two will either be trout or saxony. as you called them apricot i would guess saxony(thats what the same colour of calls is called in IRD)
the trout is on this pageIRD colours
and the saxony on this onenew colours
HTH
sam
beausam

Postby Green Pig » 23 Oct 2006, 10:28

Aa!

Me thinks they are not those either- i think i may have a motly crew.

What i called Apricot looks more like the Fawn in those piccies - but mine has orange feet - so is not a very good specimen!! It has no speckles though - definitely not the trout.
What i called the Apricot Drake does look a lot like the Blue Yellow Saxony, but i don't think he/she is a very good specimen either - he/she doesn't have the white line on the neck or such deep colours. Certainly is more like the drake than the duck. When i can work the camera /computer up load i shall post for confirmation.

I think they may be the disappointing offspring of some colour combination tests!!

Well if they are not of a good standard at least they are still fun to watch and beautful in their own unique way.
Green Pig

Postby sasha.p » 02 Aug 2007, 13:41

in the ird description under faults what does it mean by lacing on the breast? one of my black runner i recentley hatched has what looks like 3 feathers worth of brown instead of black like all the others is this lacing or has it just got an odd patch that might change when it gets around to moulting?
Me ,hubby and my two boys, two german shepherds, four rescue cats ,a parrot,and a handfull of chooks :)
sasha.p
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Postby jenny » 15 Aug 2007, 20:26

Can anyone tell me what colour my two girls are?? they're a kind of soft grey (blue?) with white throats, one a lot more so than the other. Although the photos seem to show some brown colour on them, in the flesh you can't see any, just the soft grey.

This one's Harriet:

This one's Harriet (the bigger one) and Pippa:
jenny

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Breeds