Fig Tree Jungle

Moderator: Moderators

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fig Tree Jungle

Post by MamaOwl » 21 Jan 2018, 22:18

I can't remember if I already asked this... I'm sure I haven't ... 8-[

OK so Mother tried to grow a fig tree back in 1995-ish .... she managed to get about 6 to go to sapling.... "I'll plant them at the back of my garden" she said.....

NO!!!!!!!!

I said... please don't, you will regret it and she said she wouldn't.

Well, she is right, se doesn't... because I NOW own the house (refurbishing) and I now have 6 HUGE Fig tree jungle hell at the back of the garden and I have no idea how to kill them!

I normally embrace all flora and forna but please, these bastards have ruined the summer house, taken over th garden and I need them dead.

ANY TIPS????? pleaseeeeeeeee [-o< [-o< [-o<
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

CP

Re: Fig Tree Jungle

Post by CP » 21 Jan 2018, 22:29

Would you Adam & Eve it? :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 22 Jan 2018, 20:45

CP wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 22:29
Would you Adam & Eve it? :lol:
That's it... go stand in the corner!

lol...

Well today I tackled the bastards..... I could only reach up about 7 foot with the loppers and after almost 3 hours of chopping, snipping, lopping and sawing away I gave up....

Some before and after shots... first 5 are before...

I now need hubby who is 6'2 to have a go and then we can get another 4 foots chopped off.....

Trouble is, apparently Figs never give up and will sprout from the roots if threatened from above! :angryfire:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CP

Post by CP » 23 Jan 2018, 00:10

Hehehe! :lol:

I think you may need a little help from a certain Mr. Titchmarsh!
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 23 Jan 2018, 09:51

Oh I wish Groundforce were still a thing!!!

I could write and beg them to come dig my garden out lmao....

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 23 Jan 2018, 12:19

When the leaves sprout, get out the glyphosate and spray and spray. It may take some time but if you keep at it, they will die.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 23 Jan 2018, 12:34

Unfortunately all the branches with reachable leaves have been cut down.... I can't believe how BIG the jungle is, the trunks are huge and twist around each other making it like a mega trunk of 6 foot wide in places...
Spoke to Hubby last night and it seems our only hope is a chainsaw, I LOATHE them (fear) and would rather not but needs must.... *shudder*

CP

Post by CP » 23 Jan 2018, 13:47

I must say I never knew figs were a problem. Just be thankful you don't have Japanese knot weed too! :alien:

On the plus side....you have a walled garden! :bounce: \:D/
Happy in Hampshire!

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 23 Jan 2018, 14:59

Yes I love the wall!!!!! Sadly the back wall where the fig jungle is has long collapsed and it seems the neighbours backing on to the house haev removed the bricks... can't blame them really... But yes we will rebuild the West wall!

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 24 Jan 2018, 13:09

I fear that the chain saw will not do the job as it will re-grow from the roots, which go down a looooong way! In the spring, you will see the re-growth and be able to attack it with Glyphosate which will be absorbed down to the roots. It will probably need more than one application. Fig trees are typically grown in stone "containers" - You make a lidless box from large paving stones and fill it with earth. That way the roots are prevented from escaping and that also makes them far more likely to fruit.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 25 Jan 2018, 17:31

I know all this and told Mother dearest but did she listen!!! lol

I will get some Glyphosate and spray that... thank you.. It wont harm beasts like Bees, worms, birdies and ladybugs etc will it?

In all honesty the garden is going to have to be completely dug up and re laid. I want it 90% paved anyway and the back bit where the hen house will be to be the only strip of soil.

The cost of digging it up, sieving it all and paving isn't even something I want to think about yet!!! eeeeekkkk

CP

Post by CP » 25 Jan 2018, 19:03

90% paved??? Not a gardener then? :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 26 Jan 2018, 12:10

http://www.glyphosate.eu/impact-glyphos ... al-insects

I would judge if you just used it for a short period (say over three months) and then not again, you would not be doing a huge amount of damage - some but in the great scheme of things, minimal.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 30 Jan 2018, 16:18

CP wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 19:03
90% paved??? Not a gardener then? :lol:
I am... but I prefer my plants in raised beds and pots etc.... I am NOT a lawn lover, they are a PITA...