Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Moderator: Moderators

gazofcorra

Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Post by gazofcorra » 23 Feb 2010, 14:19

Hi fellow keepers,

As a keeper of quite a few chooks and some game fowl i found out quite quickly that most chicken coops that are available on the internet may look good but in reality the majority of them are made from cheap low grade timber that has no weight to it and is poorly constructed especially with the animals welfare being put at risk, so after buying a few of them in the beginning which i have now burnt, i decided the only way i would get a coop that will meet my expectations was to build my own which i have done.
But recently i came across a company that after 18 years of chicken keeping as well as other animals they decided to start their own company providing animal housing and other items and this coupled with the owner's background in engineering and computer science alsong with many years experience in 3D computer aided design (CAD) they have produced some housing that i think will be a huge hit, not only is the design spot on but they are made from recycled plastics so are environmentally friendly and they require no maintenance except for cleaning and they provide excellent ventillation and a secure home for your chooks and compared with a wooden coop the solid plastic walls mean there are far fewer crevices for red mites and no inaccessible hiding places, at the end of the season or batch of chickens, the house can be taken apart and given a power wash down, also they will not rust or rot and they are not affected by frost, they are available in 3 sizes (small, medium & large) and 5 colours for you to choose from.

The company is http://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk i do not work for the company nor do i gain any reward for my recommending them, i am a keeper like you and i thought this will be a great coop for many chicken keepers especially people who are new to chicken keeping so they do not go wasting there money on cheap imported coops that are useless and where the animals welfare is at risk.

I myself have just bought one of these coops as i need more room for this years breeding stock.

I have also secured a discount for people who purchase 2 or more items directly from the company of 10% as long as they are shipped to a single address, so this would be ideal for friends to club together or breeders to purchase 2 or more and make a saving.
PM, me and i will give you the discount code you will need to phone your orders through as at present they do not have a coupon code area on the website.

Hope this helps

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Post by Henwife » 23 Feb 2010, 16:19

The price is somewhat eyewatering though the design is good.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

leggybirdfromessex

Post by leggybirdfromessex » 23 Feb 2010, 16:30

OUCH!!!!!! I'm sure there are plenty of coops out there that are durable without such an outlay. I for one would prefre a Forsham construction at that price.

zng109

Post by zng109 » 23 Feb 2010, 17:05

I think in all fairness we should actualy have a housing review page. i bought a luxury hen house for 9 chickens, the perch set up was rubbish and i couldnt get 3 1n it!
I will write a crap reivew tonight.
If we share our experiances it might help. =D>

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 23 Feb 2010, 17:42

I think all things considered there quite good value because in theory they should last you a life time, when you weigh up all the pro's and cons of traditional coops and these new ones its down to taste i guess. But they would be good for beginners and people who dont want the hassle a traditional wooden coop CAN bring ie: red mite etc etc. Ye sure you can buy cheaper but how long do they last. I would like to see one in the flesh though.

leggybirdfromessex

Post by leggybirdfromessex » 23 Feb 2010, 21:48

Your prob. right tweedy, I think we all have an idea in our minds what a chicken coop should look like, but when all said and done do the chickens care :!:
It all boils down to cost I think. Yes, while they might last a lifetime, can the individual layout that amount in one go!!!!

Woodburner

Post by Woodburner » 23 Feb 2010, 22:12

They look good, robust and easy to clean, pity about the prices, but then I can't afford any ready made coops that are worth having.

They've got me thinking about coop materials though. I'll make a new thread. ;)

Phill

Post by Phill » 24 Feb 2010, 00:03

They will die of a heat stroke in that come the summer the sun will turn it into an oven.

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 24 Feb 2010, 11:29

Phill wrote:They will die of a heat stroke in that come the summer the sun will turn it into an oven.
How can you say that when you do not have one and does that mean the thousands of Omlet Eglu's sold kill there occupants? It would be better if you researched your facts first as by putting your reply down you are not helping those who are new to chicken keeping or are looking for an alternative to wooden coops.

Here is info from the manufacturer's website:

Q. Do the chicken houses get awfully cold in winter, especially when compared to a wooden house?

A. The plastic we use is a surprisingly good insulator, even though it is a solid material. Our houses are no colder than a wooden house would be. You still need adequate ventilation which means that the temperature inside the house will be quite near that of the ambient air temperature whether you have a wooden or plastic house. Also, remember that chickens are quite tolerant of the cold, as their feathers provide good insulation. You can get insulated plastic houses, but they tend to have a two-walled construction with a foam layer between. Great for insulation but a disaster if a crack opens up (as can easily happen) as mites just love the cosy little internal spaces made available and are then almost impossible to eradicate.

Q. Do the chicken houses get awfully hot in midsummer?

A. As we said above, the plastic we use is a surprisingly good insulator, even though it is a solid material. We thought that this might be a problem for our houses, but have been delighted to find that this is not the case. One early prototype house, with a black roof, sat outside our workshop in the reflected heat from two large galvanised doors on the hottest day of the summer, and we were amazed to find that the temperature inside was quite cool - certainly no warmer than any wooden house would have been.

Q. Do the chicken houses suffer from condensation?

A. Our houses can have mild condensation, but this should not be a problem if there is sufficient ventilation. Most people, we suspect, provide inadequate ventilation, thinking that the birds need to be kept warm on chilly winter nights. However, as you probably know, the birds need plenty of fresh air to prevent respiratory problems. If you are ventilating well, the air flowing through the house will tend to make an insulated house pretty much pointless!. Since all of our poultry houses have one fixed (non-adjustable) vent (i.e. it remains permanently open) this should not be a problem.

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 24 Feb 2010, 11:59

I see that the price is starting to become the main issue about these coops and i agree they are not cheap, but i have spoken to the owner of the company "Adrian Morgan" and he has told me that the coops have a design life of 20 - 25 years with no paiting or staining to be done just wash the coop down and it is good to go.

And look at it this way if it only lasted 20 years then that would be approx £14 per year and what do we spend on products to paint or weatherproof our chicken coops every year or so and how much money is spent trying prevent red mite or even worse how much does it cost to treat a coop infected with red mite and sometimes the only way to get rid of the mite completely is to burn it as if it is made of T&G or shiplap you will have your work cut out for you.

I am not saying that buying this coop will prevent red mite problems but it will make it easier to treat the coop if it did get them, as the nooks and crannies in this coop are very limited and it can be power washed or even stripped down completely if needed.

Also the coop can be stripped down to flat pack for easy transport if you move house and if a panel got damaged some how i have been told you can purchase any new panel from the company, now you cannot do that with wooden coops so easily.

I am not trying to sell these coops but i think they are a real winner when it comes to maintenace, ease of use and animal welfare and if you only had to purchase one coop that will last you 20 - 25 years then i think it is real value for money, that is why i have bought one and i have 4 wooden coops and 1 8x6ft shed at the moment.

I know not everyone can afford to spend £230 - £340 on a chicken coop, especially in todays climate but if you are new to chicken keeping or want a coop that will last over 20 years with no maintenance then i think it is a wise investment and have you seen how much them little Omlet eglu's are and people seem to buy them and i have nest boxes bigger than them :lol:

Here is a link to the info section of Green Frog designs http://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/infor ... 424-0.html

girlracer265

Post by girlracer265 » 24 Feb 2010, 13:00

they are lovely but i just can't aford that right now

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 24 Feb 2010, 14:55

I cannot afford it either but i have put it on my credit card for now and am selling my car to fund my hobby :grin: also just purchased a new RCom 20 pro incubator and that is on my credit card too :-'''

Also i never would have thought that chicken keeping could be so addictive or costly, but it's too late now I AM HOOKED :mrgreen:

Big D

Post by Big D » 24 Feb 2010, 16:24

gaz..........can I borrow your credit card please :grin:

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 24 Feb 2010, 17:35

Big D wrote:gaz..........can I borrow your credit card please :grin:
ummmm let me think :-k :scratch: Sorry it is for chicken use only and i know you are not a chicken [-X and no cluck clucking :)

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 24 Feb 2010, 17:42

Here is a computer aided video of the coop and it's features:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenfrogd ... 568644012/