Chicken given antibiotics

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

• Advertisement

Chicken given antibiotics

Postby lillie02 » 18 May 2008, 19:32

My chicken had a respiratory problem and the vet gave her a antibiotic injection She is alot better now but I do not know how long I will have to wait until we can eat her eggs Any ideas?
lillie02

Liked in: 1 post

Advertisement

Postby Itsybitsy » 18 May 2008, 19:39

Ring the Vet. Only he/she knows what was given

:) :)

Itsybitsy
Itsybitsy

Postby lillie02 » 18 May 2008, 20:05

She was given Baytril
lillie02

Postby Kitsune » 20 May 2008, 06:28

Well this is a bit of a tricky one, since Baytril isn't licensed for use in laying hens the manufacturers won't give a withdrawal period.

I think the majority of vets say one month to six weeks, the withdrawal period for Baytril 100 in cats and dogs is 36 days, however for meat birds it's only 2 days. The injection isn't licensed for use in any chicken, just the oral medication.

I would leave it 6 weeks to be sure, and if you sell any eggs, don't sell hers!
~Vikki~
Kitsune
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby lillie02 » 20 May 2008, 20:33

Thanks The vet was foreign ad wasn't sure of the reguations in England. My other chickens have now started sneezng do you know of anything I can give them? I have heard Apple Cider Vinegar is good but can I give them one from the heath food shop

Jackie
lillie02

Postby Kitsune » 20 May 2008, 23:20

yes the one from the health food shop will be fine - I've heard something about the ACV being better if it has the 'mother' in it but I'm not sure if/where you can get that.

are your chicks showing any other symptoms? If they are all starting to get sick it sounds like something contagious - unless there's a chance they got into any mould or old damp feed or something.
~Vikki~
Kitsune
Hen
Hen

Postby nigel » 21 May 2008, 06:23

AVC can be bought at most food merchants it's usually in the horsey section
nigel

Liked in: 40 posts

Postby CP » 21 May 2008, 07:48

lillie02 wrote:Thanks The vet was foreign ad wasn't sure of the reguations in England. My other chickens have now started sneezng do you know of anything I can give them? I have heard Apple Cider Vinegar is good but can I give them one from the heath food shop

Jackie

Even if your vet was foreign, he should know what's legal for this country or he shouldn't be allowed to practice!

ACV that has the 'bits' still in it is the best stuff, available as Nigel says, but if you can only get filtered then that will be better than nothing. :wink:

If mine start sneezing I give them a dose of Respite which seems to do the trick. :wink:
http://www.ascott.biz/acatalog/Respite- ... MD115.html
CP

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby Itsybitsy » 21 May 2008, 13:48

The "Mother" is rather interesting, the nearest thing I can immediately think of to describe it is like a jelly fish, it is actually a living colony of acetifying bacteria.

But you wont get cider vinegar with one in unless you go to a small scale manufacturer, or make your own. It would normally be strained and pasteurized out. It's caused by the second of three chemical actions.
1st) The yeast fermenting with the sugar to produce alcohol
2nd) The conversion of alcohol into acetic acid
3rd) The final acetic acid breakdown into CO2 and water.

Since nearly all bought cider vinegar has been pasteurized, any beneficial action of the bacteria colony in the "mother" has effectively been killed. So Kitsune what you were told is correct.

Itsybitsy
Itsybitsy

Postby lillie02 » 21 May 2008, 18:56

Thanks for the advice. The chickens have been scratching in bark muck in the garden and when i turned it over it was mouldy. I have only had the chickens for 3 weeks what should I do now? Should I try another vets for antibiotics?
lillie02

Postby Itsybitsy » 21 May 2008, 21:12

Well you did say she was a lot better. . . .

Have you removed the mouldy bark? That would be my first choice of action.

Sometimes prescribed medicines are not licenced for certain animals for reasons which may not be immediately clear or relevant for our own particular set of circumstances. . . . Tylan (injectable) for example is not licenced for use in poultry because the carrier can damage muscle. Birds which mainly walk are injected into the breast to prevent any potential nerve damage in the legs, so therefore to inject Tylan into breast muscle runs the risk of withering that muscle, not a problem in a laying bird but potentially devatasting in a flock of meat birds. Tylan is the best treatment for Mycoplasma but isn't licensed because it can't be used to treat all poultry. I don't know about Baytril, but it may well be a similar scenario. But if your bird is better then don't worry.

Itsybitsy
Itsybitsy

Postby lillie02 » 21 May 2008, 21:43

The one who was given antibiotics got better within 2 hours of being given the injection but it is the other three chickens who are now sneezing, one has bubbles in her eye the others have discharge from their nostrils but they are all eating and drinking Their poos are normal. I have removed the bark don't know what to do next.
lillie02

Postby Itsybitsy » 22 May 2008, 07:19

Sorry - I missed that bit in your earlier post.

Sounds like Mycoplasma to me. I use Tylan 200 for that, not sure what others use or if Baytril is any good - go back to the Vet. I think you can get Tylan soluble, but it's not as good as the injectable - 0.5ml injected in the breast, if you see your "foreign" vet who isn't sure of British regulations you may be able to get him to give you enough to inject your birds yourself.

You never actually get rid of Mycoplasma, stress and things like that can bring it on - also one of the birds may be a carrier, but that needs another post :) . They will, as well get over it on their own, but some may die in the process.

Goggle Mycoplasma and read about it before you go so you know a little more about it. Also April Country Smallholding had a good article on it.

PM me if you want to know more.

Itsybitsy
Itsybitsy

Postby Kitsune » 22 May 2008, 07:38

I agree it sounds like mycoplasmosis, if it were aspergillosis which is caused by mouldy litter/feed etc. I would expect them to be going off their feed and rapidly losing weight as well.

if you are worried then get some antibiotics, it is a chronic disease in adult birds so as Itsy says you may never get rid of it totally - but you can treat the symptoms
~Vikki~
Kitsune
Hen
Hen

Postby lillie02 » 25 May 2008, 08:17

Thanks for the advice. They seem alot better now. Hopefully they will start laying again soon.
lillie02

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Poultry Clinic