Chicken with swollen eye

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Chicken with swollen eye

Postby Benjammin35 » 01 Feb 2017, 10:49

Morning guys looking for a bit of advice. My Appenzeller started getting a swollen eye a couple of weeks ago. When I looked inside I could see a tiny bit of puss in the corner. I managed to get some out but the problem continued to get worse. Took her vets last week and they gave her a week's worth of baytril and some eye drops but these haven't had any effect.
Have a check up booked on for this evening for her but it's not a vets that has much experience with chickens. Could anyone help with what it could be so I can maybe suggest it to the vet? Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Benjammin35

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Chicken with swollen eye

Postby kated » 01 Feb 2017, 11:16

If it's not affected by antibiotics it may well be a virus. Not a lot you can do and the outlook is not good I'm afraid. Just keep him warm and stress free if possible.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby Benjammin35 » 01 Feb 2017, 13:38

Thanks for the speedy reply! She seems happy in herself but I know it can take them a while to show symptoms of anything the vet mentioned removing the eye but if it's a virus would that help at all do you think?
Benjammin35

Liked in: 0 post

Postby kated » 01 Feb 2017, 19:37

I'd be inclined to try a different vet - maybe research a poultry vet in your area or try this:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/sip/veterin ... 7QodSsgPkw

I tried to get the short version of this but it came up with an error code.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Return to Poultry Clinic