Bald Chicks

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Bald Chicks

Postby Fast Farmer » 06 May 2015, 13:23

Ive got a hatch of Bielefelders in progress, 2 have hatched completely bald except for the top of their heads. Never experienced this before, but think I read something as to the cause sometime ago......any reminders welcome !.......hormone in-balance etc :-k ????? As they are auto sexing the meagre offering of fluff on their heads indicate both cockerels so probably curtains anyway........the hatch is made up of 3 different strains of Bielefelders and already have unrelated pullets and cockerels so my project for next year is safe.
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Re: Bald Chicks

Postby drfish » 06 May 2015, 16:56

Just a thought, but the feathers aren't in the egg case still are they? Just wondering if they've somehow come out during the hatch. Low humidity?
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Fast Farmer » 06 May 2015, 17:34

drfish wrote:Just a thought, but the feathers aren't in the egg case still are they? Just wondering if they've somehow come out during the hatch. Low humidity?

Not at all, it did come to mind so checked. They do also have a little bit of fluff on their wings and hocks but the rest of their bodies are completely "Telly Savalas" shiny, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the situation as just seen another cockerel chick grab one of them by the wing quite aggresively. I wanted to post a pic but OH is away til Friday with the camera.......dont think I'll be able to delay the "deed" that long.
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 07 May 2015, 11:04

Why not separate them. Keep them so they can see each other, but put the baldies the other side of a piece of mesh, or clear plastic. As least that way, it'll stop them getting harassed while they gain some plumage.

Get them a lollipop each too, for the full 'Telly' look :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

CP likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Fast Farmer » 07 May 2015, 13:19

Bullying seems to have stopped for the moment, just hanging on for the camera to return so can post pics here for future reference. I have no use for them.....or the other cockerels which are related to the pullets, sadly the clock is ticking. Pics tomorrow evening.
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Postby Fast Farmer » 08 May 2015, 19:19

Pic of one of the chicks which I now believe may have been a pullet. Have been in contact with the breeder who I trust without reservation...........ex Poultry Garden, she has 3 unrelated strains of Bielefelders and have identified my bald chicks to one of them with what now seems rogue genetics. She has also hatched a few baldies from the same strain, one of which is a hen that has never grown feathers on most of her body, to her great credit she has taken great care of this hen including heated housing, a coat!! and covering her in suncream!!
My 2 are now deceased.

Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Return to Poultry Clinic