Chicken has lost her voice

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Chicken has lost her voice

Postby IanG-T » 10 Apr 2015, 07:53

Morning all,

I am hoping someone can help me as Google hasn't really shone any light on this...

Wednesday evening my chickens went to bed clucking as normal, yesterday when I let them out of their coop Christine, my largest chook, has a very croaky, quiet voice, almost like she is struggling to cluck.

I have looked down her throat and can't see anything, I have syringed some water in in case it was a dust build up from the DE I sprinkle in the coop and that didn't help.

We do currently have a mite boom, thanks to the warm weather!, which is being treated today by my wife while I am at work. She doesn't appear to be gape breathing, but I am worried it may be a worm issue, I have always wormed the girls naturally with various seeds and ACV.

I am genuinely worried that she may have something seriously wrong with her as she layed a soft shelled egg yesterday morning, outside the coop, which is unusual for her as she has always been my best layer, they get plenty of oyster shell, feed and water topped up/changed daily. I always put vitamins in their water as well to try and keep their immune system up.

I also notice she had some small white patches on her ear lobes, googling this doesn't appear to throw up any red flags.... I may try and get her to the vets tomorrow, but our vets aren't particularly chicken friendly... Any advice is greatly appreciated.
IanG-T
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Chicken has lost her voice

Postby organic chick » 10 Apr 2015, 10:06

Oh dear, poor hen and you sound so worried.

Ok then, firstly worms. Scientific evidence proves that natural methods of worm control are not effective. So my advice would be to worm all the hens with Flubenvet. You can buy the necessary treated layers pellets here online at
http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk. I am not linked to them but their carriage is way cheaper than anyone else's. Alternatively you can buy the Flubenvet and add it to your feed yourself.

Secondly you could try giving her some live probiotic yoghurt. Hold her close and see if her breath Smells 'yeasty.' Is her crop distended?

Good luck with the red mite too.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby drfish » 10 Apr 2015, 10:16

If there's no obvious obstruction or damage, and no 'smelly' breath, I'd be inclined to say it may be as simple as an infection. Much like us, they are prone to respiratory infections. I'd definitely worm them as a matter of course, and see how that goes, but it may be that a trip to the vet is in order for some AB's.

Also, with a mite explosion, they will almost certainly be getting attacked during the night, and this can be enough to drop their resistance to infection and illness. Ficam the little red b@st%r*s
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby organic chick » 10 Apr 2015, 10:18

That's it Drfish. Could not remember Ficam - that's the stuff!
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 10 Apr 2015, 10:20

And of course, most of we humans are doubling up on the inhalers today !!!!!!
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Postby IanG-T » 10 Apr 2015, 10:40

Thanks for the replies all!

I don't have any Ficam, I use a chemical compound from my local poultry guy, it is German and kills everything in the coop, spiders etc, they all get it... Once dry it is safe to let the girls back in and it doesn't affect the eggs.

I have booked Christine in tot he vets anyway, I do with all my animals if they are under the weather for more than a day, the girls are pets first, yummy egg producers second. she has laid this morning, or at least it looks like it as we have had a medium egg, which is her normal size, her sis produces much larger eggs....

I will see if the vet thinks AB's are required, but I will get some worming stuff, either off the vet for now, or via that link if they don't do it.
IanG-T
Chick
Chick

Postby IanG-T » 10 Apr 2015, 10:43

I think the stuff is called A R Bachs Ectoparasite solution...
IanG-T
Chick
Chick

Postby IanG-T » 10 Apr 2015, 19:39

Been to the vets,

It's the start of a mild respiratory infection. She has anti biotics
IanG-T
Chick
Chick