HELP!!!!!! Very sick hen! Any advice appreciated!

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

ChickenGirl

HELP!!!!!! Very sick hen! Any advice appreciated!

Post by ChickenGirl » 14 Mar 2014, 11:14

Hi there.
I have a 3-4 year old hybrid hen "Amber" who has suddenly developed very worrying symptoms. I am trying desperately to get hold of a vet.
This particular hen stopped eating and started sitting in the nest box when she was only 24 weeks old - she went broody and hatched three chicks but in the three years since then has always been slightly odd. She has always been incredibly thin, even though she eats massive amounts of food - but seemed very happy in herself - if slightly cross-eyed and very hyperactive!!
Over the last three years she has had several episodes where she bends her neck at an odd angle and walks backward uncontrollably - but this always stops very quickly and she hasn't done it for months. She's been laying well but hasn't layed the last couple of days - I thought because she had started moulting - she lost feathers and started growing them in again.
She was absolutely fine yesterday - plodding about the garden, eating, drinking dust-bathing etc. Just normal - ate some grapes right before bed and as hyperactive as ever. When I went to shut her in last night she was lying on the floor of the henhouse - very odd since she always sleeps in the same spot on the bars. She seemed a little unsteady on her feet and just not herself. I thought she might have another brooding spell coming on so I left her for the night.
This morning she is struggling to walk, unsteady on her feet and walking in a very odd way. Her pupils are both oddly small but with no greying of the iris. She seems extremely confused and I'm not convinced she's seeing very well. Her third eyelid is constantly going over her eye. She's also standing in a very odd position, half standing half sitting with her tail down, all fluffed up. I've given her some warm mash and water and isolated her from the others but she hasn't barely moved in the last 2 hours. More than anything she just seems confused and unaware of anything around her. :(
I am so upset and will be absolutely devastated if she has to be put to sleep. She is my best friend. Any advice welcomed.
Proud mother to Amber, Misty, Buffy, Luna, Clara, Martha and Peaches.
I will always have Treacle, Mavis and Speckle in my heart <3

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: HELP!!!!!! Very sick hen! Any advice appreciated!

Post by drfish » 14 Mar 2014, 12:23

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, it's not a hugely common thing to see, but it's by no means unheard of.

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/vi ... ds#p388520

Couple of question...regarding the weight issues, do the chickens get wormed regularly. That would always be my first port of call with 'going light'. Flubenvet is the answer is you haven't done this yet/recently.

Have you checked around her back end for bulges. If she suddenly stopped laying, then a few days later she's hunched up and looking poorly, it's possibly egg bound/egg peritonitis. Do a search on here and there's lots of info on the subject. If it is that, the prognosis is not great, but some manage to pull through it ok. Unfortunately a good portion will succumb to the effects of this if not treated quickly.

Might be worth trying her in a warm bath though. If there is an egg stuck, that may help it through.

Found you a quick guide on recommended checks and treatment thereof.
http://www.keepingchickensnewsletter.co ... -treatment
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

ChickenGirl

Post by ChickenGirl » 14 Mar 2014, 12:28

Thank you for your reply. She's wormed regularly and up to date with that.
Her abdomen feels a bit swollen to me. Might try her in a warm bath but not totally sure she's up to it - she's pretty sick :-(
Got an appointment with the Vets at 2pm. Hope that's soon enough. I love her to bits.

drfish

Post by drfish » 14 Mar 2014, 12:33

Where on her abdomen, towards the back end? Does it feel warm to touch too? If so, I would definitely at least try the warm bath, if only to make her more comfortable (you might be surprised at how well she'll react to it). Try gently massaging the area while she's in there, and it's an idea to apply vaseline to her vent too, in case there is something waiting to pop out.

Fingers crossed for you
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 14 Mar 2014, 12:44

Aww I hope everything works out ok for Amber...
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

ChickenGirl

Post by ChickenGirl » 14 Mar 2014, 15:42

Fantastic news! She was egg bound and on the way to the emergency vet clinic in the car she laid the egg!!!!!!! She's looking much happier now, but absolutely exhausted. Poor Amber! Thank you all for your support and advice! <3

drfish

Post by drfish » 14 Mar 2014, 16:02

Great stuff.

Was it a particularly large egg? i.e. out of the ordinary?

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

ChickenGirl

Post by ChickenGirl » 14 Mar 2014, 16:21

Very long and thick - poor girl she's absolutely exhausted now <3

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 14 Mar 2014, 17:12

I know just how she feels.. one of my babies was 10lb !!! ... lmao!

SO glad she's ok....
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

drfish

Post by drfish » 17 Mar 2014, 09:59

My official birth weight was 10lbs 8oz. However, that's because the scales bottomed out and then broke. The midwife estimated mid 11's but had to record it as 10lbs 8oz as that was the only official measurement she got. At my next weigh in, I was 11lbs 11oz, a week later :mrgreen:

My poor old mother, bless her.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.