Prolapse...

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

rebecca
Chick
Chick

Prolapse...

Post by rebecca » 02 Feb 2014, 09:48

I have been reading the poultry clinic with an embarrassing air of smugness, as my hens, young as they are have always been in the prime of health and alertness. As an old cynic I should have known better.

Yesterday, while cleaning out, I decided to check for lice, mites etc. While they are gloriously clear of creepy crawlies, I discovered that one has a small prolapse. It is not damaged or bleeding. What should I do, could it go back by itself, is she doomed, can I just push it back in with vaseline?

For info,
She is a hybrid hen, 10 months old.
She lays an egg a day.
I would not have noticed any change in her but for looking. She is alert, active, comb bright red, eyes clear and bright and she is pooing and eating normally. She is also beautiful.
The other hen hasn't noticed and isn't pecking her or anything.

Thank you all in advance...

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Re: Prolapse...

Post by sunnys » 02 Feb 2014, 10:43

I have had mixed results with prolapse. it is not usually good.but i have had some sucesses. main issue is it is worst for heavy laying hens as it tends to pop with each egg. so you may be on a loser here.

you need to put it back. I have never seen one go back on its own.
firstly clean the area with carefully diluted antiseptic.
then boil some water and add a little sugar to it so sugar melts. once the water is luke warm dip your finger in it and use the sugared watered finger to push the prolapse back- you have to push quite a long way but very gently.

the sugar will cause a reaction with the membranes causing them to shrink down (osmosis or something) that helps to shrink fir everything back where it should be. If you have any honey in the house that is a better substance then sugar as does same thing but also has antibacteria properties in it.

do not use vasaline- it is not suitable for internal use. honey is best.

if the area is too stiff to put back without lubrication then use KY gelly (Chemists sell it -only cheap) - then follow up with a bit of honey to shrink down the tissue. doesn't matter if she is a sticky mess- that will resolve over a few days.

if she is very precious to you then vets is best as they can put a couple of stitches in to try and hold things together.

main thing is keep a sharp eye on her and any sign she is suffering you know what must be done.

rebecca
Chick
Chick

Post by rebecca » 02 Feb 2014, 10:48

Thank you so much, I am off to Morrisons armed with a very strange shopping list. KJ jelly, honey, gloves and antiseptic......She is my first hen so she is precious but I would not see her suffer and she has had the most spoilt last 10 months...I will let you know how it goes...

rebecca
Chick
Chick

Post by rebecca » 04 Feb 2014, 08:37

Well, I set up the hospital bed on the garden table, I had everything at the ready; gloves, antiseptic, honey-mankuka, kitchen roll...and most important, a friend on hand. I laid Chat on her back with a tea towel on her head, she was very good and quiet. After all that the prolapse had gone back in! I am so relieved, but she must have a weakness in that area so I thought I would apply honey anyway - she wasn't so quiet then! I am not complacent though and will keep an eye on her. Thank you so much for your advice as now I have everything at the ready in case of emergencies.

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 04 Feb 2014, 10:23

really pleased it went back- she is one very lucky hen! hopefully now you have the full kit you will never have to use it.

one thing I would add is keep an eye on your hens weight. fat hens are more prone to prolapse and it doesn't take many treats or scraps to fatten up hens = especially as this winter has been so mild. if you think they are looking a little overly padded then cut out the mixed corn, bread, dinner scraps and keep them on plain layers with their only treat being an occasional bit of green leafy veg. good luck.