Ducks lumpy cheek

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Birdybarb
Chick
Chick

Ducks lumpy cheek

Post by Birdybarb » 30 Dec 2013, 11:27

My young khaki Campbell duck has a lump like a skin tag growing on the side of her cheek after being pecked. I thought it would just clear up and go away but it is getting bigger. I'm wondering whether I should tie a ligature around it so it drops off like the doctor would do for a human? Do I need to take her to a vet, that would be very stressful for her.Any suggestions please. thanks.

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Re: Ducks lumpy cheek

Post by sunnys » 30 Dec 2013, 11:43

don't tie anything arround it. could be an abcess. if she appears in discomfort then its vet job- its not that distressing for them provided you take them in a darkened box.

Birdybarb
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdybarb » 30 Dec 2013, 12:24

She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and is eating and routing around as normal.
Thanks for the reply will get her to the vet in the new year :)

Birdybarb
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdybarb » 07 Jan 2014, 18:01

Well we've been to the vet and had the lump removed under local anaesthetic.
It was a skin tag/papilloma and the vet said he'd never seen one on a bird before!
She's back home and her cheek looks amazing, not a mark, well done Mr Vet :grin:
I think it will take a while for the ducks to get used to me as a friend again after the chase to catch her today :roll:

CP

Post by CP » 12 Jan 2014, 16:38

Glad to hear all is well! :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero