poorly hens

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Heather willow

poorly hens

Post by Heather willow » 15 Apr 2012, 19:26

Hi I purchased four new hens from a poultry auction back in October last year, they all appeared fit and healthy, after about a month a few of the hens started sneezing, I went to vets he gave me powder to put in water, they all appeared to get over the cold, but over the last few months the hens have been dying at a rate of about one every six weeks, no obvious signs of anything wrong until you find it dead. My latest victim was this morning, the only sign was she looked a bit lethargic. Wattle pink in colour, was eating and drinking, poo couldn"t say as in with my two remaining hens and cockeral. Have completely disinfected hen house with jeys fluid.

Dont know what it could be any help would be appreciated

New hens when purchased were point of lay, my two remaining hens are ex battery hens