Poorly Leghorn

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Poorly Leghorn

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 11 Apr 2012, 08:29

I have a blue red Leghorn hen that is now about 5 years old, yesterday afternoon she was fine - fighting the others for corn and looked normal. Last night I found her huddled up, tail and head down, one eye shut and her breathing is rasping :( . Immediately gave her a Tylan injection and put her somewhere warm with food and water (with Tylan soluable in) - she is drinking but not eating. Back in January, when the weather was really bad, I had a small outbreak of Myco in the egg flock but after a course of Tylan soluable (and injections for 3 that looked the worst) - it cleared up. Have been giving Orego-Stim and Respite in their water alternately ever since, plus Poultry Spice in their food. I wormed them with Flubenvet a couple of weeks ago, and have done them all with Harkamectin, and during the hot spell I noticed a few dirty bums that I cleaned up but besides that they have all been fine. I don't hold out much hope for her, if she is no better after her second jab tomorrow then I think it would be kinder to cull her :( - it just goes to show how quick they can go from looking fine to being really sick :( . I have now put Tylan in the egg flock drinkers, just in case.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!