Jade Green Poo from a lethargic Cockerel ?

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Jade Green Poo from a lethargic Cockerel ?

Postby DrRob72 » 18 May 2011, 19:20

It is obviously not our day!
We have now got a very lethargic cockerel, he is about a year old and has been really active until this afternoon now he just sits and looks weak.
Also there is jade green poo in the house where he lives with two hens both which seem fine.
He has been recently treated with flubavet and had a small dose of cider vinegar in his water which the other hens drunk also.
Any thoughts anyone ?

Regards
Robert and Sarah.
DrRob72

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Jade Green Poo from a lethargic Cockerel ?

Postby tweedy » 18 May 2011, 19:45

Have you checked his legs for any injuries ?
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby DrRob72 » 18 May 2011, 20:05

I have checked him over and cannot see any injuries, he is a little on the thin side and is refusing to eat and drink which is very unlike him.
DrRob72

Postby tweedy » 18 May 2011, 20:10

When was he wormed before the recent one ?
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby DrRob72 » 18 May 2011, 20:44

3 months I think, I am sure that I read somewhere that you should worm them more frequently.
DrRob72

Postby tweedy » 18 May 2011, 21:04

Not really i use flubenvet every 6 months. Have you checked his crop ?
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby DrRob72 » 18 May 2011, 21:08

Yes I have and it seemed empty, he was ok this morning but dropped quickly this afternoon.
This is what surprised us the most as usually he is our most active boy.
We are going to try and syringe some food into him shortly.

Robert.
DrRob72

Postby Bhindi » 18 May 2011, 21:25

My hen had iridescent Jade green poo's when she had coccidiosis, she didn't show visible signs of blood, but it was there. If it is cocci which is the cause you need to take very prompt action.

Hope he gets better soon.
I 'still' don't eat things that had a face!
Bhindi
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby DrRob72 » 18 May 2011, 22:13

I hope not as we have just lost 5 pekins to that because the seller never used medicated feed, they were nowhere near this cockerel either.
I have tried to syringe some medicated water to him which we were given by the vet this morning but I feel it maybe too late as I doubt he will make it to the morning.

As a matter of course we are going to treat all the adult birds tomorrow to make sure they do not catch it, as the growers and chicks are fed medicated food anyway.

Regards
Robert.
DrRob72

Postby tweedy » 18 May 2011, 22:29

I dont use medicated feed either and havent had a case of cocci for years so its not the sellers fault just bad luck. Feeding medicated chick crumb doesnt guarantee they wont get it, its a myth put out by feed companies that birds fed medicated feed wont get it. There are many strains and not all show the same symptoms.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby sunnys » 18 May 2011, 22:34

afraid tweedy is right. they can and do get it on medicated crumb :( its less likely which is why I feed it but it does happen. and it can spread on hands/feet real easy and also off wild birds :(
I'd get a bottle of baycox off vet pronto . in meantime coxoid is better then nothing and another thing that I feel is helpful as a bit of a preventative is origano sprinkled on their feed-had it recomened as a good tonic a long while back and it does seem to do things.
sunnys
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby Henwife » 19 May 2011, 07:07

Medicated crumb is to promote resistance to coccidiosis, not to prevent them ever getting it. I use mediated chick crumb, but they go straight to layers pellets after that as I have mixed age pens and can see no point in growers pellets when the layer pellets are small and all the birds share the feeders anyway.
Guinea fowl, Speckled Sussex bantams
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby araucana » 19 May 2011, 08:21

I bought in three years ago a faverolle cockerel who did jade green pôos - he had infectious bronchitis - and one of the symptomes is the btightly coloured poo - as it affects the liver - I'm not saying yours has this but I know that liver problems give them Jade coloured poo - as does stress - it happens to my birds sometimes when they go to their first shows - I would go to the vet - sorry you really aren't having much luck at the moment
Best of Breed Cochin Scottish national 2010, 2011, 2012, Best of Breed Favorelles 2012, best Opp size Brahma 2012, Best Sabelpoot and best opp sex 2012 1st with white german langshan fem. AOV large rare - Spangled Rusian Orloff, LF Male Favorelles
araucana
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby DrRob72 » 19 May 2011, 16:51

Sarah rang the vet this morning to get some Baycox as that had been recommended by quite a few people.
I can only hope that will end our run of bad luck.

Thanks for everyone's advice, suggestions and kind words.

Robert & Sarah
South West Poultry.
DrRob72

Postby Chuckie Chick » 19 May 2011, 20:38

I had a poorly cockerel last week same symptoms apart from the green poo. Took him to the vets, was right as rain in 2 days, glad I took him. Hope yours is ok
Chuckie Chick

Next

Return to Poultry Clinic