Baytril

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

• Advertisement

Baytril

Postby Lisleoise » 23 Dec 2008, 12:02

Having lost my cockerel suddenly last week I have decided to get some Baytril in stock just in case any others fall ill (at the moment they're all in fine health). I've looked on-line and found that it's the 10% oral solution needed for poultry as appposed to the other doses available.

I asked at the vets this morning and she can order it in at 28€ for the 2.5% solution 100ml, but I have since found out that that dosage is not suitable for poultry (from the Bayer interent site "This product should not be used for the treatment of poultry (chickens and turkeys). Baytril 10% Oral Solution is indicated for these animals." http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Bayer_p ... 23498.html )

But, it is hugely expensive - around 50€+ for 100ml. Where do you all buy yours and what price do you pay? Is there another antibiotic that does repiratory and gastro infections available and is it cheaper?
Susie
2 Light Sussex hens, a white Silkie hen and 6 "Wel-Sex" hens hatched spring 2010 (Light Sussex x Welsummer coq) and 2 Araucana hatched June 2011 which I think are 1 coq and 1 hen.
Lisleoise
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

Re: Baytril

Postby Lisleoise » 23 Dec 2008, 12:56

I've since done a search and found some older threads on various poultry sites where people never give antibiotics but give Respite instead or just ACV or poultry spice, thoughts please.
Susie
2 Light Sussex hens, a white Silkie hen and 6 "Wel-Sex" hens hatched spring 2010 (Light Sussex x Welsummer coq) and 2 Araucana hatched June 2011 which I think are 1 coq and 1 hen.
Lisleoise
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Magpie » 23 Dec 2008, 18:40

50€ for 100ml is quite cheap actually :evil: I paid £38 for 100ml here and I have heard of others paying £50-60 normally, I'm lucky in that my poultry vet only deals with poultry and normally on a farm scale so they tend to be cheaper for drugs etc. The thing to remember with 10% is that it has a fairly long shelf life until you open it - it is meant to be used within 30 days of opening. Personally I don't think respite, acv etc are much good for respiratory problems.

The oregano based products do help but only really as preventatives so you need to use them permanently or perhaps 1 week on, 1 week off. Ropadiar (which I use), Orego-stim and Herban are fairly widely available now.

Tim
Bantam Lakenvelder, Vorwerk and Dutch, large fowl Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Sussex and now Fayoumi :-)
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Postby Henwife » 23 Dec 2008, 22:14

Most vets prescribe the 2.5% Baytril because that's what they have in stock. Actually it seems to work, possibly because small scale poultry keepers are quick to notice any problems & deal with them before everything goes pear shaped.
Guinea fowl, Speckled Sussex bantams
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 188 posts

Postby Autumn » 28 Dec 2008, 18:22

We have used Baytril a couple of times (got a small amount for £2.50 - a weeks course) and it worked really well. the only downside is that you cannot eat the eggs for 28 days.
Like all antibiotics, not to be used too often.
''Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has"- Margaret Mead, anthropologist.

5 cats - Horatio - 15, Thunder - 12, Herbie - 3, Geronimo and Raphael -11 months! 2 Bovan Goldlines- Hettie and Henrietta.
Autumn
Hen
Hen

Postby Squidge » 29 Dec 2008, 15:50

You can't have enough "spare" Baytril. I try to wangle extra out of my vet whenever I can with excuses like "I think one of my other birds might be coming down with....." or "I dropped the bottle". I'm sure he'll cotton on before long but I don't care because birds can go down so quick and I am not prepared to take the chance. I just did that and lost a bird and I am so upset that I waited to see how she was tomorrow because she didn't survive until tomorrow. She had been pecked on the back by the other birds, I'd put purple spray on. The next day she was sitting around a lot and I thought"I'll dose you up tomorrow if you're no better.....Whatevers wrong they're getting Baytril first now. Mine is 2.5% , dose 1ml daily. It's not very expensive. I argue with my vet and haggle!
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Lisleoise » 29 Dec 2008, 18:56

That's exactly my thoughts Squidge. Having lost one cockerel and paid out 24€ for another I don't want to risk losing any of my flock and I'd rather have some in stock to use immediately incase the vets are closed. They have a few other poultry antibiotics in stock but they said they'd order Baytril in for me. As Baytril does both respiratory and digestive infections, and so many people have praised it I will get some in.
Susie
Lisleoise
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Squidge » 30 Dec 2008, 22:50

It keeps in the fridge for ages, even if opened. Mine is at least 4 months old and the vet said it takes a long time to go off.
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Postby Magpie » 31 Dec 2008, 16:59

Now my vet told me never to put it in the fridge as it hastens the breakdown of the suspension :? Makes you wonder if they all know what they are talking about doesn't it #-o
Bantam Lakenvelder, Vorwerk and Dutch, large fowl Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Sussex and now Fayoumi :-)
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Postby Squidge » 31 Dec 2008, 20:09

It can be kept for a week or so out of the fridge but not in the light or excessive heat but for storing it needs to be refrigerated and in fact has said so on the label. I think in general as long as it is kept cool in the fridge or out of it it works for a long long time.
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Postby ellisyellis » 24 Feb 2009, 20:31

my vet gave all my hens baytril and the veterinary medicines directorate wrote them all off! baytril is not licenced for use in poultry and we where told never to eat or sell the eggs again! my vet gave me £12 compensation for each bird they had written off. beware if you sell your eggs and dont give them drugs unless you know they are safe. if your the only one eating them you can do what you wish though!
ellisyellis
Chick
Chick

Postby chickenrun » 07 Mar 2009, 12:03

Hi

Can you buy Baytril anywhere without a prescription to keep 'just incase'??

Thanks
Too Many Chickens! but I always want more!
3 Cats, A Dog!
And 1 little boy and a husband!

My little site: www.broadwaybantams.co.uk
chickenrun
Chick
Chick

Postby Squidge » 07 Mar 2009, 13:09

I wish you could but it's prescription only. Don't know if it's possible abroad as you can often buy human antibiotics across the counter abroad. Perhaps someone will let us know. It's so helpful to have as a standby. I have just treated four hens for respiratory conditions and two for some really nasty peck injuries that got infected and having some spare stuff has saved me a lot of money at the vets. I've just noticed that my last post to "ellisyellis" is missing, very strange, where has it gone? I asked "what do you mean wrote them off"? I have had many hens treated and saved by Baytril given by the vet, who advised not to eat the eggs for three weeks after treatment (or not if you choose not to withdraw for yourself) No one has ever said anything about "writing them off", sorry, I don't understand.
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Postby docgreen999 » 07 Mar 2009, 21:05

hi all you have to be very carefull using baytril its prob the most dangerous anti-bac for any bird,it just rips the sh#t out of them
and they more than likely never get ok inside ever.
i made that mistake with a very expencive stock cock(racing pigeon) it cost me £1.200 and too weeks after baytril dead.
i now do everything the natural way and what i use never lets me or any of my stock down,and it costs me just pence compared to baytril.
regards.
doc.
docgreen999

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 08 Mar 2009, 10:07

I use Tylan soluable and Tylan 200 injectable instead of Baytril - the soluable is what my vet recomends for respitary problems and a friend who has kept chooks for over 20 years always uses the Tylan 200 in bad cases. Tylan 200 has a reasonable shelf life and i paid around £17 for the bottle I bought a couple of months ago.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Poultry Clinic