Soft shell eggs after molt?

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

warwick

Soft shell eggs after molt?

Post by warwick » 01 Mar 2017, 14:51

Hi

One of my two chickens, Gertrude, has laid the odd soft shell egg recently. She is about 1.5 years old and up until November 16 had laid pretty much every day. She stopped for winter which I was pleased about as she was looking a little scruffy and felt quite light.

In early Jan she had to go to the vets as was quite poorly and had been passing broken shell and egg - she had a week's course of antibiotics and since then seems to have recovered in spirit and weight. Her comb is a little pale but other than that she is dandy; apart from laying the odd soft/thin shell egg. She is also just coming through a molt - not a terrible one but there have been more than the normal amount of hers in the coop.

Both chooks have layer pellets, access to mixed grit and are given the occasional small handful of corn or a few greens. They have a covered run but havent had any time outside of their run since the Avian Flu restrictions came into force.

The other chook is completely fine and laying normal eggs, but only 2 a week which I am putting down to it being winter.

Is the shell problem just because Gertrude just getting used to laying eggs again after a break or is it something else?

Really appreciate any ideas.

Claire

CP

Re: Soft shell eggs after molt?

Post by CP » 03 Mar 2017, 14:51

It's usually just a temporary problem with some hens as they get over a moult or come back into lay. She may need a protein top up. A lot of people use wet cat food for this but you can also use tinned fish. Most other sources of protein could be used too. She will only need a little a day to help her along & hopefully she will be back to normal soon. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

warwick

Re: Soft shell eggs after molt?

Post by warwick » 04 Mar 2017, 21:12

Thanks for reply. Her comb seems a little redder and she laid a normal egg today so I'm hoping with Spring on its way she'll be back to normal - although I hope she lays a little less often, poor thing. I should imagine her body gets exhausted laying an egg every day!