Page 1 of 1

Poison or irritant plants

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 09:34
by MamaOwl
Thought it would be a good idea as people are doing gardening at the moment to have a section for identifying plants that can cause harm... or at the least irritate!

My Brother and Husband recently brandished a chainsaw and attacked a mass of Fig Trees that we have at the bottom of the garden.... The next day they both came up in blisters, my Brothers were huge and filled with yellow gooooooo..... If you re going to cut fig trees do it as late in the evenong as possible so the sap is low and COVER UP!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aconitum, commonly known as aconite, monkshood, wolf's bane, leopard's bane, mousebane, women's bane, devil's helmet, queen of poisons, or blue rocket, is a genus of over 250 species of flowering plants belonging to the family Ranunculaceae

How Poisonous, How Harmful?
The principal alkaloids are aconite and aconitine. Of these aconitine is thought to be the key toxin. Ingestion of even a small amount results in severe gastrointestinal upset but it is the effect on the heart, where it causes slowing of the heart rate, which is often the cause of death.

The poison may be administered by absorption through broken skin or open wounds and there are reports of florists being unwell after working with the flowers but there are no documented cases.

Its distinctive taste makes it unpleasant to eat so accidental poisoning is extremely rare but not unknown. The taste is described as initially very bitter followed by a burning sensation and, then, a numbing of the mouth.
monkshood.jpg