That's IT

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: That's IT

Post by MamaOwl » 28 Mar 2015, 13:01

I lost all my hens to foxes... well, all my hens HEADS! They kindly left the bodies scattered about for my 20 year old son and I to find at 4am.... :-(

Then last month my cat was run over, we buried him .. two days later as my 13 and 11 year old were leaving for school at 6:30am they came crying back in to the house.. the foxes had dug Inky up and left him on the doorstep!!!!

We buried him again and a bit deeper and the next morning there he was again on the front path staring at the boys as they left for school..

Buried him again, covered his grave in heavy stuff and low and behold the next day there he was again on the path.. they had dug a tunnel to get him!

By this time I had gone from "Thats what foxes do" to "Im going to f*cking kill every single fox on the planet!!"... why not take the cat? Why just dump him every day on the path ffs? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So.. we dug a hole that was 4 foot deep, poured bleach on it... stuck Inky in a bag, then in another bag and drizzled bleach on it, then in another bag with more bleach... then in another bag and in to the hole and poured bleach on that.... stamped down the grave, poured more bleach on it and stuck rubbish bins on it...

so far so good... 2 weeks and he hasn't been dug up..

Not the most dignified funeral for the cat and not very pleasant for us.

We do refer to him as Zombie cat now though lol ... I guess it's our way of coping with the nastiness of it all.

Anyone remember the cartoon.. "The cat came back.. the very next day"... yup it was like that.
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 28 Mar 2015, 17:05

OMG :shock: Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear your tales of woe; that's pretty extreme :( I can imagine the hen carnage as I've experienced that myself, but to find a cat dug up would also send me into a fury, a very upset fury. I am sure the latest precautions will work - we normally dig down a couple of feet and line the hole with old paving slabs with one on top. Do you still have any hens?

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 28 Mar 2015, 17:13

No hens left :-( I have said I will get some more in September, I can't cope at the moment with all the death... next doors dogs broke into our garden and killed my sons guinea pigs too so it's been a bit WHAT THE HELL! the last 6 months...

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 30 Mar 2015, 08:12

I've always thought urban foxes are far worse than properly wild ones and that sequence confirms it.Well beyond "shit happens". I have one surviving bantam now who is valiently laying almost every day. I can't pretend I wasn't upset when Cocky was taken - he was the last survivor of the Wernlas group. I'd ordered the hatching eggs and collected them a couple of weeks before Wernas sold up. Now I really must sort out all the remaining poultry stuff, check what family will relieve me of, and sell the rest.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 30 Mar 2015, 18:48

holy heck MamaOwl, your description of putting Inky to rest has conjured up one heck of a picture!!!! That's determination on your part!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 10 Apr 2015, 19:42

Fox took the last bantam this morning, so for the first time for many, many years I am chickenless. I do still have the 10 guinea fowl - I think there's something about their noise that disconcerts the fox.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 11 Apr 2015, 00:42

Oh, not again :smt071
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

CP

Post by CP » 11 Apr 2015, 02:29

That's really sad. :cry: :cry:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 11 Apr 2015, 07:53

OMG this reads like a Hammer House of Horror script. So sorry for you. Did the fox attack in the daytime?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 12 Apr 2015, 10:15

Every single one has been taken during the day and usually when the dogs are loose in the garden. That's why I'm not restocking. Last shot fox count on a local farm is 22 for this year alone.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 14 May 2015, 08:02

THEY F*CKING DID IT AGAIN!!!!!

Went out at 7am this morning and saw dirt dug up.. they managed to squeeze between the paving slabs and a bush and OMG the smell.... had me vomiting for 5 minutes..

I'm going to buy some quick set concrete and pour it in .. I still feel sick though and have no idea how I'm going to get close enough to sort it all out... 3 month old cat corpse does NOT smell nice...

Lessons learned: PAY for cremation!!!

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 14 May 2015, 14:33

Unbelievable .

If you do decide to use concrete, mix plenty of broken glass with it too - I know it sounds cruel, but it will deter not only foxes, but dogs badgers etc too from digging .
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 15 May 2015, 06:41

sweet Jesus, that sounds horrible! Yikes and double-yikes. Could you sprinkle lime on the corpse to help it decompose quicker and also deter the predators?
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

CP

Post by CP » 15 May 2015, 09:58

Ugh! :smt078
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 16 May 2015, 22:11

where does one get lime from...American, Mother in Law suggested it but I thought only builders could get something so toxic here?

Hubby placed another two large boulders over the grave.. I can't even go anywhere near it all as I can now 'smell' it rotting... When I was in the polie we used to rub Vicks under our nose and chew that black gum (cant remember its name) if we had to go to a sudden death.... but even then we'd retch until we got used to the smell...

This whole thing has ruined my lovely memories of Inky.... I never regret anything about my 45 years on this plane (and I have done some pretty crazy things and stupid things) but I really really regret baulking at the £40 or £50 quid they asked for cremation.... If I could go back to February and slap myself I would.