Red Mites in February???

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Red Mites in February???

Post by drfish » 27 Feb 2015, 13:02

As I say, you can keep on top of them with more traditional remedies, but you never really 'get rid' of them. Ficam will do that for you. I'd really recommend mixing up some of your own concoctions. If you're a smoker, or know a smoker, cigarette buts soaked in water make a pretty good insecticide. Hence why wild birds like to line their nests with the fluffy filters. Keeps the critters away. Neem oil, as I suggested, is good and works by interfering with their breeding cycle. Diatom, Ant powder, at alternate times (stops them becoming resistant), salt water (breaks down their outer shell), boiling water. When using anything with water, add a few drops of horticultural soap, or good old fairy liquid. It helps with removing the surface tension, so the water will actually wet the insects, rather than just run straight off them ;)
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

EssexLady
Chick
Chick

Post by EssexLady » 08 Mar 2015, 18:40

Been given another hen house which I am thoroughly cleaning and scrubbing; it doesn't have a felt roof so I think an advantage over my current one. I WILL beat the little red B*****ds!!!
I'm waiting 10 days then repeating the scrub/spray/diatom/procedure before I move my girls to their new beastie free home, meanwhile they're getting debugged with powder too, and they're not impressed.

torkardlane
Chick
Chick

Post by torkardlane » 08 Mar 2015, 22:35

After my first experience with red mite last year i jetwashed and cleaned out with poultry shield and waited a week before painting all the interior cracks/joints with PVA glue, followed by using a paint brush to put a coat of diatom earth all over the coop interior. This has worked for nearly a year now and is part of my monthly checks to reapply the diatom in the coop. Also I have started adding it in to the sand bath container as extra precaution and hopefully this will keep them at bay.

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 09 Mar 2015, 11:52

We cant jet wash our coop so we make up a solution of Smite and spray that every week after a general clean with hot water and Fairy (not advertising, it has a high content of surfactants) The perches are completely removable and loose so they are always lifted out, scrubbed and also sprayed once a week. In between time we use Diatom powder and ant powder - everywhere.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

torkardlane
Chick
Chick

Post by torkardlane » 16 Aug 2015, 12:47

Just an update on my experience posted earlier in the year . stuck to once a month with diatom earth and not seen a mite yet, but will be ever vigilant.