Fox & Crows

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fox & Crows

Postby georget » 18 Jul 2014, 15:43

Organic chick there is a saying that if you see a rook on its own its a crow and if you see more than 2 crows together they,re rooks.Your massive amounts of crows are rooks which are not carnivores and wont hurt your chicks.
georget
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Postby drfish » 18 Jul 2014, 16:40

That doesn't necessarily apply to Carrion crows (the ones that'll take chicks) though, they are known to group together to feed. Easiest way to determine them is that the Rook has a bald face, whereas the crow is fully feathered.

Carrions are known to cooperate though when making kills. So if there's a few there, it could be that they are plotting something. Cunning little buggers.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby subruss » 19 Jul 2014, 10:59

Lindsay wrote:
organic chick wrote: However, the Kite is back!!!

Do kites take chicks? I lost a three-week old a couple of days ago, and we have had a couple of kites hanging round for a few days. I didn't see it being taken, and the buzzards (the usual culprits) haven't bee seen for a bit. I know that kites eat grasshoppers - when OH is combining, they fly level with the cab waiting to swoop. He says it is fantastic to look down on them as they glide beside him.

Yes they will, Basically the kite is like the carrion crow they live on the dead, weak, small, ill and lost, good for the eco system but bad for domestic poultry who have lost a lot of their natural instincts and are normally penned in so cannot act naturally even if they tried.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Lindsay » 20 Jul 2014, 09:33

Thank you subruss. I used to have a wonderful cock who warned the flock of aerial predators, but the ones I have now are useless.

Incidentally, one is a young Leghorn who is not only useless, but seriously confused - if my daughter or I go into his pen, we immediately get the dropped wing/dance treatment, whereas my son gets attacked ...

CP likes this post.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 20 Jul 2014, 12:41

Lindsay wrote:Incidentally, one is a young Leghorn who is not only useless, but seriously confused - if my daughter or I go into his pen, we immediately get the dropped wing/dance treatment, whereas my son gets attacked ...

Thats not confused. Thats heterosexual! 8)
If you have nothing
Give it away

CP likes this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Lindsay » 21 Jul 2014, 06:33

Hen-Gen wrote:Thats not confused. Thats heterosexual! 8)

Very true! But maybe I should have added that he shows no interest in the five gorgeous Leghorn ladies he now lives with :?
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby organic chick » 21 Jul 2014, 09:04

georget wrote:Organic chick your massive amounts of crows are rooks which are not carnivores and wont hurt your chicks.

That's exactly what I thought originally until we had some RSPB types here who put me right. They actually are crows. And the rooks are the ones that have been nesting on neighbouring chimneys. Not an expert but I bow to those who are. They also identified 5 different types of bats and 30 species of moths including a lovely Hawkshead. Our allotment area and surrounds turned out to be much more diverse than an RSPB reserve the group had bio blitzed. Must be our organic principles!!
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

CP likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby PixieDust » 24 Jul 2014, 10:58

We have loads of Jackdaws here. I expect them to be a pest but will keep my eye on them.

Crows, Ravens, Jackdaws, etc., are very special birds to me.

And yes, Dr Fish - blummin' good movie - one of my favs! ;)
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Previous

Return to Pests and Predators