Fox attack....some survived..

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

tubateacher

Fox attack....some survived..

Post by tubateacher » 24 Jan 2013, 21:25

Hi all,
Yesterday I had the nightmare of coming across the remains of a fox attack inside my chicken run. He has killed 2 bantams, Chirp and Cheep (taken 1) and our beloved warren, Henrietta (raised from a chick). Our 2 Black Rocks survived although one has been had by the fox. We found it shaking in the corner of the run and on closer inspection discovered a few puncture wounds.

We have kept it in the kitchen since then (overnight and today) and she is eating well, not moving much but standing ok, walking a little shaky. The more we have tried to clean and look after the wounds the more we have discovered - one of which is quite deep. Having said all of this, she is eating like a horse, drinking well and still laying!!

We have been keeping chickens a year now and haven't had to deal with this sort of thing yet so I am hoping someone can answer a few questions...

Will the Black Rock survive?

Is there any thing particular we could use to help the healing process? we are currently using saline solution and germolene.

Do chickens normally heal from this sort of thing?

Will the feathers grow back?

Sorry about the bombardment of questions but we just want to make sure we are doing the right thing for her

chuck1

Re: Fox attack....some survived..

Post by chuck1 » 25 Jan 2013, 00:00

Injuries after a fox (or other predator) attacks more often than not heal up with very little attention though the really severe wounds may need antibiotics. Saline solution is always a good standby and it's effective. Didn't know they still made Germoline. I tend not to put sticky substances on as dirt sticks to it. Usually feathers grow back unless there is any bad scarring.
Sorry you've had to suffer this but it's part of keeping chickens I'm afraid. Your main task now of course is to make their accommodation fox proof as it is likely to occur again, even if there is a long time lapse before it does.

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 25 Jan 2013, 00:42

I have that lovely purple spray after a chicken keeping friend recommended it for for wounds and I have to to say what with that and regular cleaning I haven't had one go nasty yet

tubateacher

Post by tubateacher » 25 Jan 2013, 07:53

Thanks for the replies, I have already strengthened the run (the fox climbed on top - 2.2m high) and the roof gave in with the weight of foxy and snow. What is the name of the purple spray you use....could this be any antibiotic spray? I see your point about germolene and the dirt, however she is in the kitchen at the mo so will get some spray before she goes back outside.

Thanks again....

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 25 Jan 2013, 08:31

Chuck1 said it all really (germolene now comes in a tube!). I too keep purple antiseptic spray for all animal wounds and for poultry it is a useful disguise to stop other hens pecking at anything bloody. I still have hen who recovered from being scalped and blinded in one eye by a buzzard: not only does she lay, but has even got most of her top-knot back. If they show signs of recovery in the first 24 hours, they usually live.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Alecson

Post by Alecson » 25 Jan 2013, 12:41

Chuck1 wrote Your main task now of course is to make their accommodation fox proof as it is likely to occur again, even if there is a long time lapse before it does.
Sadly Chuck1 is correct. The fox has found a source of food and will keep revisiting and checking for more on a regular basis now.
Hope you can outwit it. We had to resort to an electric fence.

tubateacher

Post by tubateacher » 25 Jan 2013, 20:56

Thank you again for all extra comments. Pepper is doing well, still in the kitchen (laid yesterday!). Not up and about walking yet and I don't want to force it just in case of damage I can't see. Eating and drinking well....fingers crossed! :)

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 25 Jan 2013, 21:36

I can't remember what they spray's called but it's used for sheep feet - its the antiseptic one not a marker spray - and mine comes for an agricultural supplier. Your hen sounds as though she's doing well and wisely taking her time to recover. I'm a firm believer in dealing with immediate first aid and then leaving well alone for healing to take place.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 25 Jan 2013, 21:45

That IS good news, my fingers are crossed for her too :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

chuck1

Post by chuck1 » 26 Jan 2013, 01:12

There are two types of spray, one contains antibiotics and needs a prescription or obtained from a Vet. They can be purple or clear.

The other is the type you can buy over the counter which is for minor wound use, foot treatment etc. Usually purple containing Gentian Violet an old fashioned remedy still having good effect but it is not an antibiotic.