I thought he was dead !!!

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

I thought he was dead !!!

Post by brooksidepoultry » 20 Jan 2013, 16:23

Flaming foxes after a 2nd raid in 1 week! despite putting the dogs around the pen after the 1st raid where we lost 5 hens (As if the foxes care that dogs us & cats are around!) :angryfire: we had a 2nd raid - I don't know how many we lost but I thought they killed my turkey stag & was devastated last night/ this morn after getting a breeding trio of a breed I was after for years & loosing a female suddenly (Not predator related) a few weeks ago to then think my boy had gone to leaving 1 girly & 1 bantam cock looking in a pretty poor state & also not knowing how many hens & bantams we had left - fortunately the geese & ducks were untouched along with my 3 bantam girls & other bantam cock (Thank god as I was also trying to build on this flock for years)

It's a shame I'm not allowed to swear but mr & mrs fox will be soon enjoying a taste of lead bullets by us!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: The damn things have been TWICE in one week! 1st got in the hen house 4 hens died of shock & I'm sure it took one that's before the snow! Now another came in broad daylight it took a load more hens when they were free ranging & there were tracks all over the place & 1 of my poor little bantam cocks was so distraught the others pecked him to death!

So the others are all now locked in the goose & turkey sheds until the fox problem has been resolved - BUT MR FOX THIS MEANS WAR!!! :angryfire:

Also does anyone know of any deterrents! Apart from bullets! xxx
A country lass who loves it all x.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: I thought he was dead !!!

Post by Henwife » 20 Jan 2013, 19:05

Electric netting.........turned on. It helps if there are trees in the run if you're suffering daylight raids as unclipped chicken can and do fly. Unfenced free range in this weather is an open invitation to the fox I'm afraid.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 20 Jan 2013, 21:10

Hmm well we might be able to place some around the sheds but we haven't got runs they just go into their houses at night & free range in our orchard during the day - but it might help the problem until we've shot a few of the buggers!

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 20 Jan 2013, 21:16

Well at least they have trees to fly into if they're in the orchard. The dificulty is taking off in deep snow, so perhaps they're better off shut in for the time being.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

chuck1

Post by chuck1 » 21 Jan 2013, 00:05

Hens can never be safe at complete free range so we have to make decisions on penning/netting, part free range when we are around and even that is risky as I've had them come and take mine when I've been in the yard and the chickens out in the field.

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 21 Jan 2013, 07:53

I am very lucky that although I live with fields and woods all around me I have yet to see mr fox near my girls (touch wood) this may be due to the fact that I have two very big dogs( one is a Doberman the other is a boxer cross staf) that live outside a few meters from the girls at this point I have to say the dogs chose to stay in their kennel although back porch door is left open for them one of them is a street dog
Anyway mr fox might get in garden but I really don't think he would get out and my run is fully enclosed on hard standing with a roof so I am hoping the only way in for him would be if he had opposable thumbs and could either use the door latch and lock or a screwdriver

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 21 Jan 2013, 20:20

Well I'm just glad he's alive & well - I'm hoping to solve the problem with a mate who does pest control & runs a gun range coming to eliminate the problem - normally we don't have many predator problems & we're not going to change the set up except for maybe buying / building a new hen house, & trying to replace our losses - it's typical we only had 2 cocks left & 2 bantam cocks & all the others were female & we had loads of POL pullets :angryfire: we have got several 2 month old chicks though :shock: , but norm once 1 or 2 have been shot the others stay well away for a while x