Bloody Cat chasing my chickens

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Exibit
Chick
Chick

Bloody Cat chasing my chickens

Post by Exibit » 14 Jan 2013, 17:00

Hi all

After some advice please, there are about 6 cats in the area I live and they all ignore the chickens apart from 1 large ginger cat, whenI let my girls out to free range the dam cat appears after about 1 hour then chases the 3 young birds I have causing mayhem, in fact this happened yesterday though I saw the cat from my window and let the dog out, dog went running down there cat ran up a fence and disappeared. I counted the girls and there was 1 missing, it had flown up about 20 feet (not joking) and was in a tree, I threw some corn into there main run it flew down and then I had to lock them all in there, I love letting them free roam in the bottom section of my garden though I cant without watching like a hawk for this cat. Do you think its just doing this because I have the young birds (the young birds are 18 weeks)

I'm now thinking of getting a cockerel to defend the girls

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Bloody Cat chasing my chickens

Post by drfish » 14 Jan 2013, 17:18

All but the most determined and 'hard' cat will chase, stalk, annoy, scare and generally torment chickens, but only the aforementioned would take one on. Both my cats are proper hunters, but neither is brave enough to take a chicken on (mine are all bantams, so barely larger than a wood pigeon). I would be inclined to leave them, and let the chickens sort it out. A peck on the chops will usually deter a cat for the rest of it's days. I understand your worry, but even a particularly large cat would struggle to kill a chicken, without at the very least getting hurt.

Other than that, try a few deterrents perhaps. Cats have a bit of a strange unexplained fear of clear bottled water, so strategically placing these around the sides of the run may help.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Pekinmum

Post by Pekinmum » 14 Jan 2013, 20:16

Get a super soaker and blast the bugger each time it goes near the chickens....I hate the fact that cats are allowed to poo everywhere and the owners dont have to deal with the mess!! I love cats, I love all animals, but picking up someone else's animals poo is not something I enjoy doing...

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Kelly-salmon » 14 Jan 2013, 21:29

Yes why is it as dog owners we are responsible for clearing up after our own animals but cat owners aren't

Exibit
Chick
Chick

Post by Exibit » 14 Jan 2013, 21:45

ok DrFish I will try and let them sort it out I have not seen it actually grab or attack a chicken but they get scared when its there and they are free ranging especially when it chases them about

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 15 Jan 2013, 08:32

If the garden is chicken secure, then I assume it is dog secure. Leave the dog out when the chicken are loose.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish

Post by drfish » 15 Jan 2013, 11:25

Kelly-salmon wrote:Yes why is it as dog owners we are responsible for clearing up after our own animals but cat owners aren't
Simple. A dog is a domestic pet. A cat is still classed as semi-feral. Ergo, humans are not responsible for the whereabouts and toilet habits of cats. Stupid law imo, but hey ho. If your cat attacked someone, and caused them serious damage, you are not responsible, and the cat doesn't need to be put down or anything. Yet if a yorkshire terrier nips an ankle and draws blood, you'd have a fight on your hands to stop it being pts.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Pekinmum

Post by Pekinmum » 15 Jan 2013, 11:44

I wonder if because a cat is classed as semi-feral, and someone dumped a cat on some common ground, can the owner be taken to court? If technically its feral?? And if a dog caught a cat in the dogs garden, would the owner of the dog be held accountable? I ask because my dog is always going after the neighbours cat, and they said milo is dangerous and should be muzzled while he's in my garden. He's never shown aggression towards people, and I'm not going to muzzle him in his own garden....
Have they got any rights to tell me to do so?

drfish

Post by drfish » 15 Jan 2013, 14:53

If your dog is on your property, and a cat happens to fall into the dogs mouth, it's not your problem, or your dogs problem. You can't insure against a cat being on your garden, chance how big a fence you have. My cats can easily scale the 8 foot fence at the bottom of my garden. And there is no legal responsibility whatsoever to muzzle a dog on your own property, providing it is secure from the public rights of way. It's not even law to muzzle a dog in public, so it certainly isn't law to muzzle one on your garden. Tell your neighbours if they're that bothered, stop letting the cat out. It doesn't 'need' to go out. And for the people that apply grease, broken glass etc to the tops of fences, they are actually liable for any injury the cat may sustain from said precautions.

I believe the laws on pet abandonment apply to any animal that is legally classed as a pet, even in the instance of a cat. As they are semi-feral, i.e. able to survive in the wild, albeit a domesticated form of the animal. So yes, if you are found dumping a cat anywhere, you can be prosecuted under animal neglect laws. It's your duty as a cat owner to abide by animal welfare laws, and provide good husbandry, but a cats actions are not your responsibility, including causing damage to other animals, defecating, damaging property etc. Strange, but true.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Pekinmum

Post by Pekinmum » 15 Jan 2013, 16:08

Very interesting, thank you