Interesting twist on the redmite battle

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Interesting twist on the redmite battle

Post by drfish » 05 Dec 2012, 11:41

Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Re: Interesting twist on the redmite battle

Post by Lindsay » 05 Dec 2012, 16:56

Interesting ... I'm a smoker, but they've never retrieved any of my fag ends for their nests, that I know of. I wonder if the tar makes a difference? Certainly Floppy (the one who fell into a bucket of creosote) is looking really healthy. She still has a faint smell on her feathers, but is very active, and laying well.

drfish

Post by drfish » 05 Dec 2012, 17:21

Did you ever get the creosote off, or is just coming off naturally?
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 05 Dec 2012, 23:32

Nothing after the first major clean-up which was two sessions of Lakeland Sticky stuff remover, then washing up liquid, and Comb and Wattle Protector. I didn't want to stress her too much. I worried about her bloody poos (sorry - literal, not a swear word), but as I said, she is brimming with health now.

The only problem I have with her now is that, having discovered the delights of 'being indoors' for several days while she recuperated, every time I open the door she is in like a shot :lol:

Seriously though, even the whole flock have recently been Flubenveted, then a bit later Harkermectined, out of them all, she is one of the healthiest. I know the red mites have lessened now because of the weather, but come next spring, if they are as bad as this year, I might just consider dunking the whole lot of them ...

Only joking ;)

Thinking about it, those little birds in the article are a good example of evolution in action. I hope they do discover which precise ingredient of the butt ends is effective.

drfish

Post by drfish » 06 Dec 2012, 09:53

Well it's well known that nicotine is a great insect repellent, so coupled with the tar from a used ciggie, and sulphur, cyanide etc. there's probably a really effective mixture of toxins that would be unfavourable to most creepy crawlies. Strikes me as odd that they tolerate the smell though. I am a smoker, and even I can't stand the smell of a spent butt end. :-&

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 06 Dec 2012, 10:34

I don't think birds have a very acute sense of smell as they rely on sight and hearing for safety.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish

Post by drfish » 06 Dec 2012, 13:17

I don't think it needs to be an acute sense to smell a butt end. Any sense of smell would probably pick it up easily enough. Nasty horrible stuff. Actually, I'm probably one of the most anti-smoking smokers you'd ever meet. I hate it, I shout at kids that I see smoking, can't stand the smell, don't like the coughing up mucus every morning, don't like the reduced fitness level. Yet still I do it. Insanity is in the blood I think :grin:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 07 Dec 2012, 14:18

drfish wrote: I hate it, I shout at kids that I see smoking, can't stand the smell, don't like the coughing up mucus every morning, don't like the reduced fitness level. Yet still I do it.
Couldn't agree more :( But if anyone had told me when I was young that I would feel this way, I wouldn't have believed them.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 09 Dec 2012, 16:09

This is an excerpt from a letter in today's Telegraph. Maybe we should all move over to keeping water birds ;)

SIR – Birds have been found to use cigarette ends in their nests because of the insecticidal effect of nicotine. My understanding of European legislation on the recycling of nicotine-based products by nesting birds is that it is permitted for those species naturally attuned to it: puffin and shag.

CP

Post by CP » 09 Dec 2012, 18:00

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero