Dead foxes.

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Lily
Hen
Hen

Dead foxes.

Post by Lily » 02 Oct 2012, 13:27

Anyone heard of the practice of putting dead foxes on tree to warn off other foxes?
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

Ellen Rose

Re: Dead foxes.

Post by Ellen Rose » 02 Oct 2012, 14:01

Yes I have, but never tried it, it wouldn't take too long for the decaying process to start,
plus I don't have a dead fox :-k

I've also heard of human urine or human hair around the perimeters, or better still lions urine, if you can get it :lol:

Do you have a dead fox?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 02 Oct 2012, 15:34

I've posted this before, but I'll go again.

http://www.predatorpee.com/

For all your 'pee' needs
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

nigel
Hen
Hen

Post by nigel » 02 Oct 2012, 22:18

Lily wrote:Anyone heard of the practice of putting dead foxes on tree to warn off other foxes?
Funny you should mention this Lily but as Steph and I were exploring the Riverlands a couple of weeks ago we passed this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 02 Oct 2012, 23:14

............and to think women used to wear them round their necks :-&

Ilex Kent

Post by Ilex Kent » 03 Oct 2012, 07:27

Have they been road accidents or shot ?

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 03 Oct 2012, 12:01

I was talking to farmer across the lane and he said years ago when he shot a fox it was hung up a tree, and he wasn't visited
by foxes for 1 to 2 years sometimes longer.
I've never heard of this before so just wondered if anyone has heard of this.

Yes I have a dead fox Ellen, the one that killed my little hens Rocky, Lucy and Goldie and 16 of the farmers hens across the lane.
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

Ellen Rose

Post by Ellen Rose » 03 Oct 2012, 13:00

Ahh sorry to hear that Lily, I'm glad to got to kill him, though it's little consolation for your girls!

I would certainly throw him up on a tree, if he works as a deterrent for other foxes! :evil:

CP

Post by CP » 03 Oct 2012, 13:10

Make sure it's well away from your house though, they don't half whiff when decomposing! :-&
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 03 Oct 2012, 13:11

NannyP wrote:............and to think women used to wear them round their necks :-&
I think they took the guts out of them first though....... :lol:
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 03 Oct 2012, 13:44

I bought a tractor like that! They took the guts out of it before selling it to me. :? ;)
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 03 Oct 2012, 16:12

:lol: :lol:

I am going to kill your avator Wilt! :munky2:

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 03 Oct 2012, 17:20

:shock: Nigel, I wonder why they did that?

humblehen

Post by humblehen » 03 Oct 2012, 20:34

I've seen this practice before at a local farm, certainly raises an eyebrow. :?
doesn't half smell after a few days though.... 8-[

nigel
Hen
Hen

Post by nigel » 03 Oct 2012, 21:50

Lily wrote::shock: Nigel, I wonder why they did that?
They were quite obviously shot rather than road kill and all I could think of was that, like you I'd heard that some people hang dead foxes as an 'example' to others that they should stay away.

I just wondered what happens if a fox didn't come by road and down the drive, he wouldn't see them then...
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard