Another hard lesson learned - but this one harder than most

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Another hard lesson learned - but this one harder than m

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 16 Jan 2012, 06:54

She is gorgeous :grin:
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 16 Jan 2012, 10:30

What a beautiful girl! And beautiful weather too, by the look of it :)

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 16 Jan 2012, 10:38

Lovely weather here, and has been for weeks - although there's no snow, and therefore very few tourists to bring in some income.

A predator came to the trap last night - but I suspect it was a fox: it managed to extract the bait but not get caught inside, as well as dislodge all the paving slabs I had put on and around the trap to keep it stable. Only a much larger animal could have done that. I left the trap in the henhouse with the house door wide open, so on reflection a fox could easily have got in. I'll try again tonight, but this time close up the house first. (Obviously, I have no hens in this one at the moment...)

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 16 Jan 2012, 10:54

Good luck tonight. Much as I love winter, I dread all the hungry predators. We keep seeing two peregrines sitting on the top of the pigeonnerie. I just hope they leave enough of the pigeons alive till spring to repopulate the flock. And going inside the pigeonnerie at the moment is dicing with the risk of a sprained ankle - there are so many rat holes that the floor is caving in. I keep dropping poison down the holes, but I reckon they look on them as vitamin tablets - there are so many of them now. I used to use our terriers to control the rats, but after the Dreadful Episode with my guineas, they are banned from being around my birds.

jonewchick

Post by jonewchick » 26 Jan 2012, 23:37

I am do sorry goatlady about your brahmas, very upsetting :(
The girl you bought is just gorgeous!

Craigx

Post by Craigx » 07 Mar 2012, 09:36

im sorry if this thread is obsolete, but did you catch the predator?? also how many do u have now? and sorry about your loss

Craig

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 07 Mar 2012, 09:52

Not obsolete at all. I'm still paying for this particular lesson.

For the moment, all I have caught in the trap is one of our cats. He was not amused! Bad weather and lots of snow have made access difficult (for me and the predator), but I set the trap again last night. Nothing yet.

I have started the painful process of restocking, and now have a trio of Dark Brahmas, but a lovely Gold Brahma hen I bought at a show in January died suddenly at the weekend. This is going to be a slow process, and not having caught the predator makes me nervous as well.

I do have other breeds - Cream Legbar, Marans and Barnevelders. About 20 birds in all.

Craigx

Post by Craigx » 25 Oct 2012, 16:26

Hey,

Sorry for the very delayed response, I kinda lost this forum lol,

Thats great, have you had chance to catch it yet?

Craig

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 01 Nov 2012, 09:14

I never did catch the predator - but all my chicken houses are secure now. At least, you always think you have everything covered, but I've come to realise you can never be 100% certain of anything as far as chickens and predators are concerned.

Totally Clucked

Post by Totally Clucked » 01 Nov 2012, 09:50

goatlady wrote:I never did catch the predator - but all my chicken houses are secure now. At least, you always think you have everything covered, but I've come to realise you can never be 100% certain of anything as far as chickens and predators are concerned.

Never a truer word said!!!!!