Advice Re Dog Attacks

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Ilex Kent

Re: Advice Re Dog Attacks

Post by Ilex Kent » 16 Aug 2012, 08:41

Welcome and Hello :grin:
How sad , poor birds :(
I would look around and see how much young laying hens cost and then add a bit more for you distress .

yorkshire duck
Chick
Chick

Post by yorkshire duck » 16 Aug 2012, 11:28

Don't start me off about dogs - or more to the point , their irresponsible owners ...
I'm a dog lover, have kept dogs all my life & would like to think that i am a responsible dog owner - I neuter them, worm them,vaccinate them & train them to behave when on & off the lead. They stay in my home & garden unless we take them out & are never left to wander.
When I lived on a farm the fields were crossed with public footpaths, there were signs telling people to keep their dogs on a lead but not many people took notice of this.
One day I had someone banging on my door in hysterics, saying that my mare ( who had a foal at foot ) had just killed their spaniel as they were traversing the footpath across my land. I was quite shocked, & didn't know how to react , they said the dog was on a lead & that the horse had just attacked it for no reason.
We started to go up the fields to retrieve the dogs body when my neighbour arrived with a gun ; he'd seen the dog harassing & chasing the mare & foal & the owners doing nothing to stop it ; he thought I wasn't in so he'd come over to shoot the dog.
The owners then admitted that the dog wasn't on a lead, & they thought it was 'playing' with the foal ; it'd run into a fence in its terror at being chased by the dog , & had sustained multiple cuts & knocks & was severely stressed , as was its mum, who had defended her baby by kicking the dog , fatally.
Chickens, ducks, geese, horses, dogs, cats & anything else that turns up on our doorstep won't be turned away.

Bronte84

Post by Bronte84 » 24 Aug 2012, 18:24

:( its very sad when dog owners don't take responsibility and control over their dogs. We have had numerous incidents with sheep and lambs and it's really not nice.

Littlebag126

Post by Littlebag126 » 17 Sep 2012, 07:41

Hi, I have been unfortunate enough to witness a dog attacking my chickens. It had jumped over the wall from a footpath and onto my yard and proceeded to savage my flock. The owner was present and got the dog under control, but the damage had already been done. I was shocked and devastated and unfortunately didn't get the owners details before she left. Am I still able to report this incident to the police/dog warden with just a description of the animal and owner or do I need to find out who the person is first?

Bronte84

Post by Bronte84 » 17 Sep 2012, 09:52

Yes, I would still report. You can give a description of both dog and owner.

foster

Post by foster » 12 Oct 2012, 19:04

Thanks for that post. I am a dog lover and have had one most of my life. But there comes a time when the dog needs to be restrained by the owner. If not then let the law prevail. I have no problems with that.