Advice Re Dog Attacks

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

smileysal

Advice Re Dog Attacks

Post by smileysal » 28 Dec 2010, 17:15

Should you find your poultry attacked by a dog, you may find the following links useful, these will provide you with all the legal information you will need to fight your case against the owner for recompense and also your legal rights in relation to dogs straying onto your land in the future.
For those who have questioned the information I have previously imparted, I know this information is correct and legal because it is what I used in my case against a dog owner to successfully gain compensation and also the matters I discussed with the Police following the attack in relation to my right to destroy any animal found worrying my livestock.
I sincerely hope none of you ever have to witness the devastation I did when I came home to find many of my birds dead or injured, but if you do, look here first as it will save you alot of the legwork I had to do when I was most upset.
To those of you who question my tone in replies, I believe you have taken a dislike to my writing style and take every opportunity to 'have a dig', you know who you are. And to those who tried to support me, thank you I apprieciate it.
Those who know me know that I will always try and help people in any way I can, if that ruffles feathers, so be it!

Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/1-2/28
Particular attention should be made to this section...
3 Interpretation and supplementary provisions. E+W+S.(1)In this Act—.
“agricultural land” means land used as arable, meadow or grazing land, or for the purpose of poultry farming, pig farming, market gardens, allotments, nursery grounds or orchards; and“livestock” means cattle, sheep, goats, swine, horses, or poultry, and for the purposes of this definition “cattle” means bulls, cows, oxen, heifers or calves, “horses” includes asses and mules, and “poultry” means domestic fowls, turkeys, geese or ducks.

Animals Act 1971
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/22
Particular attention should be made to the following sections
3 Liability for injury done by dogs to livestock. E+W.Where a dog causes damage by killing or injuring livestock, any person who is a keeper of the dog is liable for the damage, except as otherwise provided by this Act
9 Killing of or injury to dogs worrying livestock. E+W.(1)In any civil proceedings against a person (in this section referred to as the defendant) for killing or causing injury to a dog it shall be a defence to prove—.
(a)that the defendant acted for the protection of any livestock and was a person entitled to act for the protection of that livestock; and.
(b)that within forty-eight hours of the killing or injury notice thereof was given by the defendant to the officer in charge of a police station..

Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/199 ... troduction

Dangerous Dogs (Amendment) Act 1991

DEFRA Advice On Dangerous Dogs
http://ww2.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/dangerous/

Finally, it is most important that you report any incident involving a dog to your local Dog Warden, and get an incident number, this means if there are problems in the future there is already a history built up in relation to a particular problem animal, this came direct from our local Dog Warden.
Last edited by smileysal on 06 Jan 2011, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Advice Re Dog Attacks

Post by Henwife » 28 Dec 2010, 18:04

Thank you for that. Since we don't have the luxury of a Dog Warden, presumably a report to the police, with incident number, is OK.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

smileysal

Post by smileysal » 28 Dec 2010, 18:06

Yes it is, we did both, just make sure you get the incident number! :)

jojosarah

Post by jojosarah » 28 Dec 2010, 18:11

Good post Sal, hope i'll never need it but very good to know. :grin:

pekinfanatic

Post by pekinfanatic » 05 Jan 2011, 17:50

this is really useful smileysal - thanks. We have lost 3 point of lay chickens a week ago to a dog attack, several young silkies that had to be despatched - it was not very nice I can tell you. We have very sturdy fencing but to no avail - dogs grab and pull. i caught dog with duck in its mouth and complained to owner who fortunately is a friend. She is getting dog rehomed as she can't cope with him escaping. I have also told her that she will have to pay for any further losses due to attacks in the meantime.(bet that won't happen now she knows my chickens are not 3 for a fiver like in tesco!!)
I can accept a fox attack and would blame myself for it. I absolutely will not accept a pet dog attack by a dog which is allowed to roam.
I was a bit confused by your other thread, I don't understand why people were getting all rude - clue to this forum is in the title - 'poultry keeper' not 'dog keeper' I do love dogs but i feel a bit grumpy towards this one despite it being the owners fault!

smileysal

Post by smileysal » 06 Jan 2011, 12:29

Thank you Pekinfanatic, I'm glad it has been of use to you.
It is horrible finding your chickens in such a state but you did the kindest thing in dispatching them rather than let them suffer. :cry:
You are lucky that the person is a friend and will rehome the dog, the woman we dealt with, first of all said she would rehome him and then said she had changed her mind so we now live with the threat of it happneing all over again. :(
Like you I am not anti-dog but when they are killers action needs to be taken. :evil:
Oh and welcome to the forum!!! :grin:

hania00

Post by hania00 » 13 Apr 2011, 12:36

Re your advice on dogs attacking chickens - does the owner have the same right of compensation when his chickens are not fenced in and roam freely on the fields and public highway?

A friend of mine's dog escaped - some hours later she received a phone call from a local farmer saying her dog had attacked & killed several chickens on his fields.

She offered to buy replacements, but feels he is strongly hinting for compensation - however the onus is on a farmer to fence his own livestock in .

He is notorious in the area for not bothering to fence his stock and has let cattle and pigs roam all over his neighbour's fields - they have all had to fence to keep his stock out of their fields and he has ignored letters asking for compensation for damage caused.

smileysal

Post by smileysal » 13 Apr 2011, 14:08

If the chickens are on his own fields then it is still up to the owner of the dog to keep it under control regardless of whether they are fenced or not.
If they are roaming on public land or someone elses land then it is his responsibility as the owner of the chickens to take steps to keep them from harms way.
For example, one of our chickens wandered round to next door but one where a problem Springer Spaniel lives, if it had been killed or injured that would be our fault for allowing it to roam (try and stop her!!!). However when the same problem dog enters our field as it has on several occassions and worried and chased our birds then the dog owner is liable to pay any costs incurred through loss of birds.

Hope this helps!

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 13 Apr 2011, 17:04

I had a cat try and attack mine yesterday, but I guess as cats are feral, these rules don't apply.

Not to worry though, my Staffies soon showed the cat the exit :mrgreen:

Even my little kitten was stood there, all heckled up and fat tailed trying to stand her ground, bless her :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

edgroger

Post by edgroger » 19 Apr 2011, 11:21

Very useful for future references and advice whenever we chicken lovers get caught up in a doggy problem.

Good post amigo~ :thumbright:

smileysal

Post by smileysal » 14 Mar 2012, 09:40

Just bumping this up as I have been asked again recently about a dog attack. Happy to help! :)

smileysal

Post by smileysal » 16 Apr 2012, 17:15

As an update to this thread, the dog that killed our birds revisited our land today, thankfully my other half was at home and managed to catch the dog and call the police.
The incident was again logged with both the police and the dog warden and incident numbers issued from each.
As a direct result of our actions previously ie recording it according to the law every step of the way the owner has now been issued with a legally binding community order to rehome the dog within a month. A great result for us.
So remember REPORT EVERY INCIDENT TO THE POLICE AND DOG WARDEN!!! I cannot stress this enough
But also, know your rights, stand your ground and don't give in.
There is hope that the law and common sense CAN prevail!!!

Bielefelder

Post by Bielefelder » 16 Apr 2012, 20:04

Very useful information.

And even more significant that you are able to post something negative about dogs in an internet forum, even if it is a poultry forum. ;)

I totally agree that each case where dogs kill or harm other animals, it should be imparted to the police, no matter if "my dog never did this before" or how he "just wants to play". Those unconvincable dog owners, who do not seem to see that their therapeutic vehicle is nothing more than a flesh eating and hunting predator, do not understand it in any other way.

I got banned several times in german internet forums for telling people that they shall report each incident with dogs to the police, and make sure that the dog is classified as a "dangerous dog" - and therefore has to wear a muzzle on public grounds; and costs about 500€ taxes each year instead of about 100€.

If you would post anything against dogs in germany, and would be stupid enough to post it with your true name, you would get answers and nice stuff like insulting, threating and death threats.

Each dog that threatens other animals, or even tries to threat them, is classified as dangerous dog in germany, and that`s it.
As a direct result of our actions previously ie recording it according to the law every step of the way the owner has now been issued with a legally binding community order to rehome the dog within a month. A great result for us.
That`s great. If you wouldn`t have reported the case before, you wouldn`t have any proof. Nice one. ;) They should have put their animal on a leash or on a chain, or should have stored it inside their home. Now they have time to think about it.

campcabo

Post by campcabo » 15 Aug 2012, 21:37

I recently had several of my chickens (mostly layers) killed by a neighbors dog in MY YARD. I wasn't sure which neighbors dog was the culprit until this week. The first time I suspected it was a dog it killed 4 hens. Then Monday I came home to two more hens dead and one severely injured and likely to die. Yesterday while trying to figure out how to approach the neighbors I actually caught the dog in the act. I heard a noise and as my husband ran outside the dog had feathers hanging out of his mouth and was on the move back across the street. All my birds were hiding at that point. By dusk I had found all but two. Later one returned slightly injured and tattered and one has not been found yet. So in all I believe that I have lost 7 plus one so injured it will probably die and 2 will minor scrapes on the legs and missing feathers.

Soooo... my questions is how do you figure proper compensation for something like this. I hand raise all my chickens, use their eggs, and have a wide variety which would take months to re-raise them or find the equivalent in egg layers.

I have spoke to the neighbor who owns the dog (who was on vacation during the last two attacks) and she asked how much it would cost to replace them....I just don't know what is fair to ask for.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 16 Aug 2012, 00:29

Welcome to the forum campcabo. :wave:

Where are you, USA ?
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington