Northern Mite I think!

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Northern Mite I think!

Postby Big D » 20 Jun 2009, 21:19

Well we have all moved into the new house and everyone is very happy, including the chickens :grin:

Today was the once a month big coop clear out (I clean it once a week but once a month disinfectant etc) and a general look see at the girls followed by a good dusting of Diatom. Only to find they are all infested with little black mites and white eggs stuck to the base of their feathers around their vents :evil:
I take it this is Northern Mite? I gave them a good dose of Diatom.

Any other ideas on how to eradicate these little blighter's? I was thinking of going into town tomorrow and get some Frontline. Will this work on Northern Mite?
Four kids, Sultans, Hybrids and the odd Pekin now and again. Twelve fish in the pond and a mental Springer Spaniel (mostly in the pond) One wife, no girlfriend (I haven't the energy) A growing amount of grey thinning hair and wrinkles. Slowly turning into my Dad on a daily basis.
Big D
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 5 posts

Re: Northern Mite I think!

Postby Gilly C » 20 Jun 2009, 21:30

frontline is supposed to work on any biters I have never come across northern mite in more than 30 years chicken keeping, around here it as a bad year for ticks and I had forgot to frontline our 2 dogs but the day after I did I found a couple of dead ticks and they were empty so it does work that was 2 weeks ago we were getting 3-4 each night before then it seems to have gone up it cost me £17+ for 3 phials to do the Borders and you are supposed to do them every month ! worth every penny though ;) no prescription for drops but for spray you need vets prescription
Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Big D » 20 Jun 2009, 21:56

Yes it's a bad year for ticks around here as well. We got a couple on Archie (Springer) from the ferns around the pond. We got Practic from the vets that has worked very well.

Just checked all the girls under the halogen light in the workshop, strangely only the Rhodey has them; and lots of them+ a good stock of eggs aswell.
The other three where just filthy from bathing in the ash bucket #-o [shot]
Four kids, Sultans, Hybrids and the odd Pekin now and again. Twelve fish in the pond and a mental Springer Spaniel (mostly in the pond) One wife, no girlfriend (I haven't the energy) A growing amount of grey thinning hair and wrinkles. Slowly turning into my Dad on a daily basis.
Big D
Hen
Hen

Postby CP » 20 Jun 2009, 22:07

My book recommends avermectin for control of NFM but it's not licensed for poultry. :?
Or sprinkle with a pyrethrum based powder. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 97 posts

Postby Big D » 21 Jun 2009, 10:21

Thanks CP :grin:
Big D
Hen
Hen

Postby MaisytheDobe » 21 Jun 2009, 22:19

You could always try a bathing in an appropriate shampoo, and then either blow dry of pop the hen under a heat lamp.

Have a chat to your vet and get the frontline spray, thats what I did and he let me have some spray.
MaisytheDobe
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Big D » 21 Jun 2009, 23:10

Got some "Johnson's anti-mite extra" from the Range today £3.
It states that it will kill Red-Mite Northern-Mite and Lice.
I'll keep an eye on her and post the results in a few days. I gave her a few squirts around her vent and a couple under each wing. [-o< [-o<
I'm using it in conjunction with Diatom.
Big D
Hen
Hen

Postby Big D » 24 Jun 2009, 17:56

We have a Mite/Lice free Rhodey!
Gave her another couple of squirts today and I will do it again this weekend to kill off any hatching eggs.

Johnson's anti-mite extra gets the Big D thumbs up :smt023
(my thumbs up makes or breaks some companies you know :lol: )
Big D
Hen
Hen

Postby Tia Maria » 10 Jul 2009, 15:13

Just for your information - if you want to use frontline then an agricultural supplyer like Mole Valley Farmers is cheapest. We also get panacure from there to worm all the dogs, cat, ferrets and hawk and that costs £13 for enough for all of them
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 11 Jul 2009, 09:00

If you have dogs then you shouldn't have too much problem getting spray from your vet - just say it's for the dog/s, it's what I do :grin: .

Tia maria I see you have a Harris hawk - many years ago i went to learn all about Barn Owls and reintroducing them back into the wild. On our day off we took the hawks out rabbit hunting and I was allowed to fly the Harris hawk - a truly awsome experience =D> .
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Tia Maria » 11 Jul 2009, 20:11

Cool :grin: :grin:
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 1 post

Postby miller mills » 21 Aug 2010, 21:48

Try dusting them with dog/cat flea powder. This contains synthetic pyrethroids which should kill the mites. Turn the hens upside down on your lap and dust their bums well, under their wings and above their tails. Repeat after 8 days (I think). Pull out any feathers which are very dusty looking at the base. I've got some hens which get this very badly and some who hardly suffer at all. Its a bugger to get rid of, so be diligent with your dusting, and do all your hens.

Disinfect your house (for any other kind of mite!) too!
miller mills
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby laffinfowl » 21 Aug 2010, 23:29

This thread is over a year old miller hills,but your info is still relevant. :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby Big D » 22 Aug 2010, 15:30

Yeah Z's messaging me about it and I'd no idea what the heck he was on about :lol: :lol:

For the record the Johnson's mite spray worked very quickly.
Big D
Hen
Hen

Postby laffinfowl » 22 Aug 2010, 20:20

Glad to hear that Big D. :)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 152 posts

Next