My chickens!

Moderator: Moderators

My chickens!

Postby Moriarty » 29 Dec 2014, 18:24

My flock a few days ago, free-ranging in the garden. Have now added another three hens from the farm up the road...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

6 people like this post.
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Re: My chickens!

Postby MamaOwl » 29 Dec 2014, 20:23

oohhh your garden looks amazing! I want to free range in it!!
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.

Moriarty likes this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Postby Moriarty » 30 Dec 2014, 07:46

Free-ranging is all good fun, except that sometimes we have a 'hunt the egg' day when they've decided that a clump of bushes is far more interesting to nest in. Or the grass-collection box on the tractor. Or somewhere in the woodpile. I've lost count of the amount of times I've cut back a pampas grass or something and found a dozen eggs forgotten there!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Postby MamaOwl » 30 Dec 2014, 14:18

sounds fun! Ours always found their way back to the nest box despite having plenty of places to nest... you have a year round Easter Egg Hunt!!! hahaha
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PixieDust » 02 Jan 2015, 00:54

Much better garden than we have!

I am still to let out my girls. Scared they will fly away.
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby Moriarty » 02 Jan 2015, 07:35

I've only lost one chook so far ... just disappeared, but she was unwell and I think wandered off somewhere to die peacefully. The chooks have a small run with two coops in it, into which they are enclosed at night. But during the day ... well they freerange and there's all sorts of wildlife around here but loads of hunters, so haven't (touch wood) seen any foxes so far. Some of the hens go wandering quite far but I have Roger the randy cockerel who shouts a lot, so they always come back, and he's very good at rounding them up. Sometimes I think he is counting them, and finds one is missing, then he sprints off around the house and up the road and usually ends up rounding up a stray...

2 people like this post.
Moriarty

Postby MamaOwl » 02 Jan 2015, 12:19

cool Rooster!
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jillychick » 02 Jan 2015, 14:45

PixieDust wrote:Much better garden than we have!

oh pixie bless you, they won't fly off :grin: you will find that they stay close to the run for a while until they feel more confiedent. Then they wreck the garden just for the fun of it :roll: they will always come back to the run and coop at dusk. if my run gates blows shut, i have a dozen grumpy hens paceing up and down to get in, even the nomad who prefers next doors garden comes home.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

PixieDust likes this post.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby PixieDust » 17 Jan 2015, 23:47

jillychick wrote:
PixieDust wrote:Much better garden than we have!

oh pixie bless you, they won't fly off :grin: you will find that they stay close to the run for a while until they feel more confiedent. Then they wreck the garden just for the fun of it :roll: they will always come back to the run and coop at dusk. if my run gates blows shut, i have a dozen grumpy hens paceing up and down to get in, even the nomad who prefers next doors garden comes home.

Winnie the Columbine escaped once. I admit she just went to the grass and stopped, but had my heart racing! Boy, she was quick :meoww
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Return to Chickens