Genetics

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Genetics

Postby Trebord » 02 May 2014, 19:26

OK so I have 14 Pekin chicks on the go and have made the decision that this time I will keep a cock. My question is this: If, for instance, I decide to keep a gold partridge cock and in time breed him with my other Pekins ( lavender, black, chocolate etc) will he produce some gold partridge chicks and some the same colour as the hens or will I just end up with completely mixed "new" non standard colours? Will be spending the weekend building a cockerel box in preparation!
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 17 posts

Re: Genetics

Postby jillychick » 03 May 2014, 07:47

Ummmm don't want to sound duhh but what is a cockeral box? I've not got a cockeral so I'm interested as to what it is used for?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby Trebord » 03 May 2014, 08:37

Tis a magical Woden box that will keep the cockerel quiet until you let him out as it will be totally dark and sound proof - well that's the theory anyway! Not too sure how I will sound proof the air holes yet :-k
If it goes well I will post up some pictures. If, as I suspect, it is a complete DIY disaster we will be having a roaring fire tonight!
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 03 May 2014, 09:07

That sounds a brilliant idea please do tell how you get on it could be the solution I'm looking for \:D/
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Lindsay » 03 May 2014, 18:44

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby Trebord » 04 May 2014, 10:44

Thanks Lindsay, didn't realise it was so complicated - which I'd paid more attention in science now! #-o
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Postby Trebord » 05 May 2014, 11:20

Hi Jillychick just to update you on the box:
The box construction was a success - no fire needed. I made it double walled and filled the cavity with polystyrene. However when I place my mobile inside and call it, it is as loud as when it is not in the box so totally useless for what I wanted! Looking on google it would seem that I now have to line the interior walls with something soft to absorb the noise. I saw someone using carpet but think this would be red mite heaven. I can think of anything else soft that chickens would not peck at and destroy ( like foam) also don't want to create a red mite hotel so might be having that fire after all.
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 05 May 2014, 12:34

Can you make the inner cavity bigger with a lot more polystyrene in side? It will mean a bigger outer shell though, just a thought.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Hen-Gen » 05 May 2014, 12:41

Gold Partridge ♂ x Lavender, Black and Chocolate ♀s. All pullets will come black. This is because whole colours tend to be dominant to parti-colours, lavender is recessive and chocolate is sex linked. Thus all female chicks will be black. (That is unless the hens are from mixed parentage).
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Trebord » 05 May 2014, 13:24

Hen-Gen wrote:Gold Partridge ♂ x Lavender, Black and Chocolate ♀s. All pullets will come black. This is because whole colours tend to be dominant to parti-colours, lavender is recessive and chocolate is sex linked. Thus all female chicks will be black. (That is unless the hens are from mixed parentage).

Hi Hen-Gen
Couple of more dopey questions!
1. what do you mean by chocolate is sex linked?
2. Do you mean that a gold partridge male with a lavender, black or chocolate would only produce black pullets? What about cockerels ?
Thanks for your time - much appreciated :grin:
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Postby Trebord » 05 May 2014, 13:27

jillychick wrote:Can you make the inner cavity bigger with a lot more polystyrene in side? It will mean a bigger outer shell though, just a thought.

I think I am going to try and line the inner walls with some underlay for laminate flooring that I have just found in the garage or alternatively I've just seen some acoustic tiles on ebay by as I'm in for over £80 already I'm leaning towards the underlay!!
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Postby Hen-Gen » 05 May 2014, 13:47

Trebord wrote:
Hen-Gen wrote:Gold Partridge ♂ x Lavender, Black and Chocolate ♀s. All pullets will come black. This is because whole colours tend to be dominant to parti-colours, lavender is recessive and chocolate is sex linked. Thus all female chicks will be black. (That is unless the hens are from mixed parentage).

Hi Hen-Gen
Couple of more dopey questions!
1. what do you mean by chocolate is sex linked?
2. Do you mean that a gold partridge male with a lavender, black or chocolate would only produce black pullets? What about cockerels ?
Thanks for your time - much appreciated :grin:

No such thing as a dopey question. But there can be dopey answers, which I'll try to avoid. :grin:
So, Q1.
Some colours (eg barring, gold, chocolate) are inherited in a way known as sex linkage. This means that according to which of the two sexes is the colour in question so the colours of the resultant chicks will differ. So in the case of chocolate:-

Chocolate Cock x Black Hen gives Black (Carrier) Cocks and Chocolate Pullets
Black Cock x Chocolate Hen gives Black (Carrier) cocks and Black Pullets
This is caused by the fact that the gene for chocolate feathers is carried on the male sex chromosome (Z chromosome) and pullets always (and only) inherit a Z chromosome from their fathers, never their mothers. Cockerels, by contrast inherit a Z chromosome from each of their parents.

Q2
Yes, all pullets will be black. Basically the cockerels will be too but may show areas of gold on the sex specific areas like the hackles and the saddle.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby jillychick » 05 May 2014, 14:08

Hen gen would you mind me asking a quick question? Sorry to jump in but I've got eggs under my broody in all the excitement I forgot to ask what colour the chicks would eventually be. I know they will be sex linked. The males lighter than the buff females but no idea as to the final colour? the cock is RIR the hen is LS
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Hen-Gen » 05 May 2014, 16:52

jillychick wrote:Hen gen would you mind me asking a quick question? Sorry to jump in but I've got eggs under my broody in all the excitement I forgot to ask what colour the chicks would eventually be. I know they will be sex linked. The males lighter than the buff females but no idea as to the final colour? the cock is RIR the hen is LS

They say one picture is worth a thousand words, Jillychick! :grin:

Yellow cockerels, ginger pullets. Eventually the cocks would be like lemony Light Sussex, the hens paler RIRs.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby jillychick » 05 May 2014, 17:14

:grin: OMG that's wonderful, they are beautiful thank you so much :thumbright:
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Next

Return to Genetics