Brahma 12 weeks old feather mutation.

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Brahma 12 weeks old feather mutation.

Postby breconbirds » 03 Jul 2011, 08:12

I have a 12 week old Blue Partridge Brahma chick who has 'blue fluff' for feathers on all but the neck which has some relatively normal looking feathers. A few permanent-looking feathers developed on the wing tips, but these were spoon shaped with the apex of the spoon pointing upwards. There were three on each wing tip and these have fallen out from one side. The feather shafts of the 'fluff' look fairly normal and it looks a bit like a Silkie cross, but there are no Silkies for miles around, and I only have Brahmas and Naked Necks (with a few La Fleche chicks just hatched) and a very elderly Warren (the sole survivor of a group I had aged 5 and a bit)

The chick is as big as its contemporaries and has no beak, claw or other apparent abnormalities. The few feathers it has indicates female pattern feathering.

I'd like to post a pic., but as a newbie am not sure how to do this.

Anybody seen this in there chickens at all?
breconbirds

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Brahma 12 weeks old feather mutation.

Postby Henwife » 03 Jul 2011, 10:37

Have you been able to sex any of its siblings? I only ask as I understand that these are slow feathering birds, with the cock birds well behind the pullets - which could indicate that the fluffy one is a male.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Re: Brahma 12 weeks old feather mutation.

Postby breconbirds » 03 Jul 2011, 11:00

Thank you, Henwife.

They were a mixed hatch of Brahmas and Naked Necks and all were pretty easy to sex from a few days.

I have kept Brahmas for some years and initially just assumed this little one was male as I have had one or two over the years that have been really slow to feather. However, the chick has gone on to get the 'stripy-type' feather pattern on the neck that usually develop on Blue Partridge Brahmas pullets. Comb and wattles tiny, and relatively dainty feet, so looks female. The few wing feathers which did develop seemed to have a normal feather shaft and grew to about two inches long, but they were wrongly shaped, and they have fallen out on one side. The fluffy feathers have a relatively normal feather shaft and do not look anything like a bird who has the 'fray' feather gene.

I have quite a few pics. of her, so, if anyone can give me an idiots guide to posting pics., I will do so.
breconbirds

Liked in: 1 post

Return to Genetics