Yesterday's scouting mission for coops.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yesterday's scouting mission for coops.

Postby organic chick » 04 Jun 2014, 17:15

Oh my. So excited for you. Delighted such progress has been made. A good choice I think. Looking forward to hearing the next instalment. Do you know what hens you will be getting yet and how many?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

PixieDust likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby PixieDust » 04 Jun 2014, 18:38

I bet many of you thought I wasn't going to get a house at all lol.

The pullets will come from http://www.withypoultry.co.uk Can't do proper links from the phone so look at the menu and click on the Hybrid Pullets. I am getting 4. I am going to choose 4 from a list of 6.

Withy Black
Withy Blacktail
Withy Blue
Withy Sussex
Withy Amber
Withy Ranger

Of course they are a Bovans Nera, Columbian Blacktail, Bluebelle, Light Sussex, Amber and ISA Warren hybrids.

Very excited :blob: :smt117
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

2 people like this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby PixieDust » 21 Jun 2014, 23:20

I am getting "eggstremely egg-cited", (d'oh!), as my coop is due to be delivered next week. Also my birthday on the Thursday and I am off to Goodwood with my brother for the day. :blob6: :blob6: :blob6: :headbang: :smt117

I have eased off discussions about the run for now but am searching this and other forums for loads of information on poultry care.

I am actually going on an overnight trip with OH's mum to Bletchley Park on 12th/13th July so I may leave getting the girls til after then. Gives him plenty of time to do the run in peace with no hassle and another birthday thing to look forward too.

The day is getting closer! :sunny:
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).

3 people like this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 23 Jun 2014, 09:12

Yipeeeeeeee! :cheers:
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 25 Jun 2014, 23:04

Another stop press moment. I have been told he IS buying the weld mesh, (or meld wesh as I called it the other day), to do a proper job of the run. He thought it was more expensive than it was. ](*,)

See told you about planting seeds ;)

3 people like this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 27 Jun 2014, 15:09

Very upset. Only the roosting box has turned up and that is damaged. I have emailed the company and photographed the damage and said I am rejecting it and that the delivery company told me they will deliver the rest Monday or Tuesday. I also hurt my foot yesterday which spoilt the end of my birthday and I can barely walk today. They say things come in 3 ' s. Let's hope that is all 3 done :cry:
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby MamaOwl » 27 Jun 2014, 15:31

(((( Pixie ))))
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Postby PixieDust » 27 Jun 2014, 23:10

The nesting box with damage!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 01 Jul 2014, 00:16

The rest of the chicken house arrived safely and has been assembled. The guy rang from the company I got it from and he is going to personally bring us a new nest box. He is apparently down this way in about 10 days and will deliver it on his way through. From what he said he has had a few delivery issues in this area on this delivery run. Also, OH thinks this is very well made, which is praise indeed! I did mention the Chinese imports :naughty
Anyhow, minus a nest box, here is the house:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 01 Jul 2014, 10:19

Good to see things moving on =D>

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 04 Jul 2014, 16:02

Some updates.

The nest box is due next Friday - fingers crossed.

The WIR is underway. It was going to be 10' x 6' - he needs to get between the run and his shed, (it's HIS shed), and between the run and the hedge to cut it.

He started to get a bit shouty and said the house was too big and a problem, etc. I eeked out a bit more space to 10' 6" x 7'. I would have loved to go to 11' or 12' but there is a tree there and because he is going to dig in the weld mesh, (yes you heard me correctly), we could end up damaging the roots. He even said "Because you are being so exacting with this, I don't want to have to build it twice!"

The saga continues........... :smt117 :tongue9:

organic chick likes this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 09 Jul 2014, 22:56

The posts are concreted in and now just to build the roof and the structure is just about done. I ordered some Weld mesh wire from ebay today - 1/2" x 1" 30m of it. OH have been looking at a website where he can get the plastic corrugated sheets from to make the roof.
It's slow because he is doing an hour or so in the evenings and he really wants to get this right, after all the hoo-har. I am happy that it's being done properly and don't even mind waiting til middle August to get the girls.

I know you all probably think this has been quite a saga, but I am just pleased any chickens who live here will be in a safe run and coop. As I said to OH during one of the many arguments - I will not take on any animal where I cannot provide food, water, warmth in winter, coolness in summer and a safe environment. If I can't do it right, I won't do it at all.

2 people like this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby CP » 11 Jul 2014, 10:21

Quite right too! Nothing like being thoroughly prepared for you new arrivals. ;) :grin:

All too often people rush in to get the latest 'craze' & then find out the downside of it, often to their cost....either in money or loss of their livestock due to overlooking relatively simple things like getting the correct wire to prevent foxes getting in!

At least this way you should have covered all the bases beforehand. ;) :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby PixieDust » 29 Jul 2014, 23:51

I have been very remiss and not posted my usual update.

Littleacre were good to their word. The guy turned up after 10pm from the show to deliver a new nest box. You cannot fault that service. Incredibly impressed.

The run is still awaiting a roof but the next thing is the weld mesh. He has built a fabulous door. Only this is the coop will face the wrong way due to the pull out drawer needing room. But this isn't for show it is a practicality.

Will upload pics tomorrow as the files on the phone won't upload as they are too big.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 02 Aug 2014, 14:01

Sorry for the delay. This is the run so far. Not huge but they have the garden. No weld mesh as yet and the roof still to go on but it's getting there :thumbright:

2 people like this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Housing