Yesterday's scouting mission for coops.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yesterday's scouting mission for coops.

Postby PixieDust » 23 Aug 2014, 14:21

Will download pics late but wire going on today and roof is ordered! :blob3:
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby PixieDust » 23 Aug 2014, 23:33

OK only half the run wired but it's getting there. OH was having an easy day as we have a rare day out tomorrow and didn't want to be shattered. I painted the run and chose the colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).

CP likes this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 24 Aug 2014, 09:15

Oh goodness me. A veritable palace. How exciting and so pleased to see this all coming together for you at last. We are spending this weekend upgrading the cover of our large wir so that we can harvest the rainwater for our allotment. Let's hope we complete it before Mondays predicted storms as there is only netting covering at the mo.

When do your hens arrive?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

PixieDust likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby PixieDust » 25 Aug 2014, 10:48

Y'see he's very clever and has made something practical and aesthetically nice. Even one of our neighbour's saw it and thought it was fabulous. We were out all day yesterday and too wet today so work will commence soon. The roofing turns up later this week and I need to finish painting the door.

On our way out yesterday, we passed the place where I intend getting the girls. Got rather excited. Hopefully the run will be finished in a few weeks but I have a course I am studying which needs to be handed in by second week November. However, I want to finish it by middle of October and get the girls around that time, else I will spend all my time playing with the girls and not finish my course!

organic chick likes this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 27 Sep 2014, 11:08

Further update. Girls will be collected on 15th November aged 18 weeks. The guy is away in October and we still have some snagging to do. The run has a roof but this needs attention as we have a couple of area where water can seep in. Nothing a bit of mastic won't fix. The coop needs creosoting and the season bark delivered for the run floor. Plenty of time to finish these things. Will update with pics in due course.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 28 Sep 2014, 13:51

:grin: so pleased for you, its looking great. looking forwards to seeing the ladies enjoying there new home well done its fab =D>
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby PixieDust » 28 Sep 2014, 18:12

It's fabulous. But I have some sort of bad news. It is highly possible we will be moving with OH's job next November. And the run is concreted into the ground so we can't take it with us. :( It's not 100% yet, but work came to a grinding halt when OH found out as he almost felt like he was building this for someone to knock down next year. He's build a smashing run - despite all the arguments we have had, he's really pleased with it.

We discussed the idea of not getting them and he said he hadn't built it for no chickens to live there.

Still - if we do move, the garden may be larger and so may be their run.

Will post piccies tomorrow.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby Moriarty » 29 Sep 2014, 05:40

looking good and Mr. Pixiedust looks like a very capable builder (and agile!). Keep us posted on progress ...
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Henwife » 29 Sep 2014, 07:52

A local family has just sold their house complete with poultry (including a cock) and housing. The new owners were delighted to have everythng in place. As your poultry run is far superior to theirs, it may well be a selling bonus. It's also good enough to be used as a dog compound when necessary, so look on the bright side. You also have a year to perfect your chicken keeping skils and decide what you would do differently next time.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

CP likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby PixieDust » 03 Oct 2014, 11:32

Sorry for the delay. First moment I have had to get on the PC and resize the pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby JordanWalker » 12 Mar 2015, 06:50

I'm so glad that I found this thread. I have a friend who's asking me to find her a chicken coop that is available in her place (she's from the UK too). I will recommend this information to her.

JordanWalker

Liked in: 1 post

Postby PixieDust » 12 May 2015, 09:00

I really need to update this thread with pics. Although we had one sick girl who we lost, things so far seem to be quite good.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Feeding and Housing