Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Moderator: Moderators

Phill

Re: Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Post by Phill » 01 Jun 2010, 17:08

Plastic patically Eglus can result ina higher chance of mite infestation especially since the plastic on an eglu is full of tiney holes which become more visible as the eglu ages out of all my coops the traditional ones are mite free and my eglu is very prone to mites I have to dust the thing all the time use special disonfectents never had a problem with my traditional housing. Even most eglu owners ive seen on the site have complained and said they too suffer from the same thing. You can wash an eglu as much as you like its still more prone infestation of parasites especially red mite/lice then more cheaper traditional coops

Plastic is more prone to vermin dammege and breaking down easily for what they are they are too pricey and your better off with decent quality tradictional run, eglu's dont ventalate as well as the company claims and they also have problems with frequent leeks check out you tube if your dont believe me. I dont have a vermin problem but one got lucky and chewed the base of my eglu and the company refused to send a replacements but they sent a replacement door which I didnt need since my eglu is on a base, ive never had so much problems with a single cheap coop honesyly four years down the line a traditional coop will be less hassle -.-

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 01 Jun 2010, 18:14

Phil - I too have an eglu which I don't rate as highly as my other plastic house. The plastic in the solway and green frog design houses is totally different to that used in the eglu. IMO (for what it is worth) I would think that the type of plastic used in the Solway and GFD houses should be pretty good against rodents. I've only had both of my houses a few months but it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

I guess no matter what type of house you get vigilance against red mite/rodents etc is key.

blackstar

Post by blackstar » 02 Jun 2010, 13:35

Phil -Thank you for your feedback on this discussion and elsewhere. I’m sure it will be invaluable to me when I decide which house to get. I for will be keeping an even closer eye on the Eglu now.

I’m very traditional and my friends are very surprised I’m considering plastic. However, I’m lucky as my ode man will be inspecting the plastic with me so he can cut through the fact and fiction, and substantiated and unsubstantiated.

Although not high on my list of a priorities and beauty is in the eye of the holder etc….I think the design of some of the plastic houses could be a little easier on the eye? You can do wonderful thinks with plastic these days mould, form, shape, colour etc….maybe if they weren’t so alien like people might accept them more readily?

Apologies I’m going off topic, this is supposed to be specifically about Green Frog Designs…anybody got any more feedback about Green Frog Designs. Has anybody heard from gazofcorra recently?
Anyone own one or seen one in the flesh or been to the Royal Bath and West Show and seen them?

Brahma girl

Post by Brahma girl » 11 Aug 2010, 23:38

Interesting thread. I have 3 greenfrog chicken houses, the first bought last Sept. I have learnt the hard way that cheap wooden houses do not last long, esp, if you do not treat them every year.

The houses have been in use through the coldest winter and hot summer months and I'm delighted. No problem in the snow although I did add a bit more straw. I was concerned when the temps hits 80+ and the houses were right in the sun all day but when I put my hand inside I found they were cooler than the wooden ones. Thats probably because of the thick plastic. I've not seen any red mite this year, but none on the wooden houses either but I spread diatom around all the houses liberally.

Big D

Post by Big D » 13 Aug 2010, 22:36

I met a Greenfrog and a Solway house last week in the flesh :lol:
They look and feel pretty bomb proof. I wouldn't be suprised if you could get 20 years out of them. Quite heavy and made out of thick plastic.
My only suggestion is that the Solway's run came with smaller holed mesh and a roof.

But the price?? If you work it out over the years I suppose it works out value for money :-k

I saw, what I though,to to be a cheaper coop on the JFc site. As a handy coop for 2 to 3 bantam growers and then stacked away until I needed them again. It looked ideal except for the obvious design flaws, rain water harvesting,two small access holes.

But £300 is the cheapest i can find it at Mole Valley Farmers :shock: £300 quid :shock:
http://www.jfcuk.com/PentHouseCoop.html

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 15 Aug 2010, 08:11

the rain water feeder was a problem i pionted out to a salesman when i looked at one at a show ,they'd drown here and asked how i blocked it if we had to get our birds under cover (ai ),he found someone else to talk to :oops:
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Allister
Chick
Chick

Post by Allister » 16 Aug 2010, 13:36

Hi All

First of all what a great forum and a fantastic wealth of knoledge. Thank you ALL for posting.
I am new to the word of chickens. I have been reading the forum and considering the pros and cons of the different deigns and materials for chicken coops I decided to buy a Green Frog loft. It should arrive by Friday!
I plan to keep the coop inside a wood and wire cage 25ft X 15ft The wire netting could be Chicken or pheasant netting. I think the pheasant netting has sightly larger holes than the chicken netting but its advantage is that pheasant netting comes in 2mtr X 50 mtr rolls, the chicken 1mtr X 50 mtr
As predators are the main threat to the chickens the chickens must be secure for the peace of both of our minds.
Can anyone give advice on:-
1. The area for a run, space is not an issue, is it big enough? The planned space is one third under a Sycamore tree and the rest of the run in the sunshine/rain ( Scotland!!!)
2. Which type of netting, bear in mind that I plan to bury the netting around the perimiter of the cage.
3. The proposed run at present is shoulder high in nettles which I am removing but may not get all the roots. will chickens deal with these or will they cause the chickens problems?
The chickens should be available at the beginning of October but I must be ready by mid September just in case!

Would really appreciate any advice or experiencexs
Thanking you in advance.
Allister

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 16 Aug 2010, 13:42

The space seems big enough but this does ultimately end up with how many chickens you actually have.

The setting sounds great. I don't know about nettle roots but I can't see it being a problem.

My only worry is that do you mean netting or wire mesh? You'll need a galvanised type wire mesh to make it predator proof, although if the run is 7 ft high you could use netting over the top.

Good luck with the loft it sounds like a good choice. You can get it with an automatic door now too.

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 16 Aug 2010, 13:46

Depends on how many birds you plan on getting as too whether the run is big enough or not. The more space they got the longer the land will survive so its up to you how generous you want to be. Chicken netting is available in wider than 1mtr but pheasant netting is fine. One inch netting around the bottom not forgetting a wind break 18 inches high.

Allister
Chick
Chick

Post by Allister » 23 Aug 2010, 23:45

Hi
I am sorry I should have said that I am going to have 6 chickens and plan to let them have half of the run for a month and then swap them to the other half. Each half should be about 24ft by 7ft. Can you advise what I should do with the used half of the run to help it recover. Should I rotovate it? just leave it or seed it. At the moment the ground has been cleared of nettles but there are roots, weeds and a little grass can I do anything now, before the chickens arrive, to improve the quality of the ground
Thanks in advance
Allister

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 24 Aug 2010, 07:28

i'd leave the nettles in chickens don't seem to mind them and if you did to much you'll turn the area into mud which if gets wet causes problems and some of the happiest chickens i've seen where picking bugs and stratching aound stings
they'll enjoy doing the digging for you
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

zth

Post by zth » 24 Aug 2010, 08:46

We're currently using the girls as slave labour. We've just built another raised veg bed and before we fill it we've dug over the soil at the base and let the chickens at it. They love it and it would take hours with a rake to get the soil that nice! We've now dumped in a couple of wheelbarrows of home-made compost. No need to spread it around, just use the girls. If only we could train them to paint the window frames too...

Helen Jones

Post by Helen Jones » 04 Sep 2010, 10:39

:lol:

gazofcorra

Green Frog Coop - FAULT

Post by gazofcorra » 29 Oct 2010, 11:52

Whilst the green frog coop is a super place for chickens, i had a problem with mine and had it returned and refunded. The problem was in the nest box area where the lid joins the main body of the coop and when it rained water seeped into the nest box area making the shavings damp, which will eventually lead to ill health. Apart from that it is a good investment really easy to clean etc.
When i returned my coop i was informed by them that they were aware of this problem and were looking into redesigning the nest box area so it keeps the elements out, so if you are thinking of buying one of these coops then i would contact them and see if they have rectified the problem first.

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 29 Oct 2010, 13:27

gazofcorra - sorry you had to return your house. Your earlier review tipped the balance for me and persuaded me to get a GFD house (now have a duck one too). Mine still has the same problem with water getting in the nest box but this only happens in really heavy rain. I stuck a strip of gaffer tape over the join and have not had the problem since. :)