Hen
Hen

Re: Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Post by laffinfowl » 26 Feb 2010, 12:44

"PHIL THE BUILDER,YES YOU CAN" Oh sorry thats BOB isn,t it! :lol:

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 26 Feb 2010, 14:09

No we are getting there having a debate on what might happen etc, which is what is needed on any product not tried and tested.

I have opted to have the optional stand so the coop is raised clear of the floor and as for it's longevity only time will tell and i will be running temp & humidity tests on the coop and comparing it to my hand built coop with a black onduline roof as they will both be within 6ft of each other.

Here are a few picks of one of my hand built coops:

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 26 Feb 2010, 14:21

Oh, that does look good! =D> :)

Phill

Post by Phill » 26 Feb 2010, 17:27

now that looks nice I would pay money for that ^^

I love the colour and design looks fantastic.

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 26 Feb 2010, 19:27

Thanks for praise :NW at the moment that coop is housing my 4 buff orp hens and 1 buff orp cock.

I recieved the Green Frog Designs chicken coop today and i ordered the medium sized one with the optional leg set.

1. Firstly i was supprised at the weight of the 2 boxes as it is not made from light weight materials and to move the coop is a 2 person job.
2. There are a lot of parts that go to making the completed article and they are precision made and all fit together easily and spot on, which suprised me.
3. When you see one you can tell this has been designed by a person who knows how to build a chicken coop properly.
4. The instructions are straight forward and very concise.
5. The door is secure at night via a metal locking pin, the ramp is textured and grooved to aid grip and drainage, the egg box is easily accesable and secure too, it is also pitch black inside especially the egg boxes so should be ideal for the layers.
6. The floor is double sided so you can choose to have the perfectly smooth side for easier cleaning or the other side is textured for chicks to have better grip.
7. The perches are similar to a 50 pence piece to aid grip and you can also choose to have a none perch version for birds like orpingtons who prefer not to perch.
8. The back comes of quickly and easily as does the roof so cleaning out should be a breeze.
At the outset i am very happy with the design and quality of components which i feel makes this a good purchase, if it performs half as good as it looks then i and my chooks will be happy.

Below are a few pics taken at sunset of the new coop along side my other had built coop which is a smaller version of the big green one in the post above.

Obviously only time and how well it performs will decide if this is a great well designed and constructed chicken coop, but from the outset it has the potential to be just that.
Like i have said in earlier posts check back on this post now and again and i will update how it performs in all manner of weather conditions and what i think my birds make of it etc.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 27 Feb 2010, 11:06

Nice job Gaz,you are obviously fairly talented with the old hammer and nails,it will be interesting to hear of your findings with the new coop,looking forward to it. Regards Dave.

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 27 Feb 2010, 19:03

Thanks Dave,
But this is the first time since i left school (old woodwork classes) some 26 years ago that i have made anything out of wood and there are plenty of designs with quite good instructions out there for people who want a go at building there own coops, i just could not be bothered to build another one as a few weeks ago i built a pair of breeding pens and i got the design from Tweedy.
I will as i said keep the post alive with updates on how the new coop performs.

Here is the breeding pens i built the other week and this was quite easy as the main component was 12mm exterior hardwood ply, each one is 4ft x 2ft x2ft.

Bhindi
Hen
Hen

Post by Bhindi » 27 Feb 2010, 20:13

Not that I am likely to buy a green frog chicken coop, but just wanted to say I am very intrested in this thread, and look forward to hear how the green frog holds up to the demands it has on it.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing your experience.
I 'still' don't eat things that had a face!

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 16 Apr 2010, 20:42

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering how things were going with the Green Frog Design hen house?

I know there are pros and cons for wooden and plastic hen houses but I was wondering how someone with experience of both wood and now plastic was finding it?

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 17 Apr 2010, 09:18

Hi Fairfax, if you go to Gazafcorra,s profile you can view his most recent posts and see what he says about how he,s getting on. :)

blackstar

Post by blackstar » 28 May 2010, 11:37

Newbie here, breaking my post virginity. Seven year old son came home from his mates (who has chooks) and told us we need chickens. So I’ve spent the last three weeks “researching” the forums, groups and boards and we are booked on intro/taster courses next week (half term).

Having read thousands of pages about the great Wood vs. Plastic debate and although a bit ode fashioned, a bit of a traditionalist and a wood lover, plastic fantastic suits our purpose.

Specific feedback about the Green Frog Design would be invaluable. I haven’t found any recent posts about it so if there are any could somebody please point me in the right direction?
Thank you.

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 28 May 2010, 11:55

Hi Blackstar :wave:

I think I probably came to the same conclusions as yourself. I would love wooden houses but plastic suits my needs better.

I don't have a Green Frog Design house but I have a Solway house which I think is made of similar plastic. I also have a very second hand eglu. A verdict from me would be:

The eglu is small and nice to look at but you need to clean it out every few days and the roosting bars are a bit of a pain to clean. However the hens are quite happy in there - it also comes apart well to give it a really good clean.

The solway is ugly, much more substantial - I think it will look the same in 10 years time as it did new whereas I'm not fully convinced of the longevity of the eglu. It is much bigger so needs less cleaning out and I put a plastic sheet over the bottom so I clean that rather than the floor of the house. (You could do this in a wooden house too). The solway can be moved around but it is nowhere near as light as the eglu.

So it all depends on your requirements really.

I would also suggest that you go for the biggest house you can. Chicken keeping is very very addictive. :grin:

blackstar

Post by blackstar » 28 May 2010, 14:39

We both work and have a seven year old to look after, work life balance is critical so if the plastic offers quicker and easier cleaning and less chance of the mite then plastic it is. Plastic as a material isn’t a concern. The Ode Mon is a design engineer and has spent the last 18 years working in plastic design!

I have the Solway Deluxe, Eglu Cube 2M run and Green Frog Medium 2M run on the shortlist so far. I’m hoping to get to see them in the flesh (resin!) before buying one. It’s the Staffordshire County Show next week so I’m hoping to get to see some houses and some girls there.

It’s already an addiction and we haven’t got any girls yet!

sunnidays
Chick
Chick

Post by sunnidays » 29 May 2010, 14:47

Excellent debate, well worth reading all the comments. I agree with Gazofcorra and he has certainly given the most comprehensive of answers. Thankyou, I also agree that Phills comment is possibly unfounded and there are two ways of looking at it. Firstly don't put it in direct sunshine. I think the material used will be more than adequate to be cool enough inside, Hen houses are still made with corregated roofs which are really hot and also draughty in the winter & lets face it by the time the chooks are let out in the morning which I hope is early, the temperatures are not that high and hens aren't silly they will adjust their laying pattern according to climatic conditions, and although I do not like the design of Eglus, they seem to sell enough of them and I have not seen any cooked bunnies, or chickens mentioned in the media.

The thought of my hens being a little happier due to the fact that they are not burdened with infestation which can happen and try as you will to get rid of them, they are always present. Egg production should also increase and lets face it who hasnt had the odd mite on them! I hate the things especially when you are trying to clean out the hen house. So I myself will go ahead and purchase one in the near future and I also will share my experiences with it. Hygene is important to me and ease of use and what I can see from these new houses are going to provide my hens with a happy home.

Watch this space! :meoww

blackstar

Post by blackstar » 01 Jun 2010, 12:49

I'm very reassured by the company. I have contacted them with queries and they have responded within hours. They even offered to provide extra bits/customize.
I can't wait to actually see it!