Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Moderator: Moderators

Phill

Re: Green Frog Designs Chicken Coops

Post by Phill » 24 Feb 2010, 23:48

I know they will overheat in this just look at it its shiney plastic which will catch the sun and heat up you see it!!!

The eglu is an ideal shape and the plastic is thick but very well ventalated (it sucks in winter actually the doors freaze and everything))

You would only fit bantams in that thing by first glance it looks very cramped to me, in extreme heat that style plastic will become over heated, its ideal for cleaning thats about it not worth those price not to mention a rat could easily chew through that with no problems as its very thin.

I am impressed with this as I am with Eglu's which is to say not a lot. I will all ways go with a traditional based run/coop what would be cool is if you could have a traditional looking run with a plastic egg//poop tray thats simple to clean that doesn't look like rubbish after five minutes would be cool ^^

It looks cheap and will probably look like 10 years old after its first year and break down with its 2nd this is what happend with my eglu and they cost a small fortune, had a nice traditional 9ft run for £40 more for nearly three months now it still looks great and none of my chooks have been got by fox's third night in the eglu I lost a chook to fox this was back when they were advertising it as fox proof >.>

you maybe getting on with it now but it will be a lot of trouble later on.

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 25 Feb 2010, 00:32

I guess you didnt look at the last link gaz posted phill, and as for eglu there just crap basically.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 25 Feb 2010, 02:13

Hi Gaz,not trying to pick holes in the product or anything but how would it perform under a torrential downpour of twenty or thirty duration,which is not unknown to happen,just wondering with all those holes for pins and clasps it must let water in somewhere,which would be my main concern apart from the price, i do like the design and some of the ideas though. :-k

Big D

Post by Big D » 25 Feb 2010, 13:51

A down pour of 20 to 30 minutes sometimes happens.............lucky s*d!!!!!

Our last downpour started at the end of last June and ended mid November :lol: :lol:

My chicken house is designed to float :lol:

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 25 Feb 2010, 15:18

tweedy wrote:I guess you didnt look at the last link gaz posted phill, and as for eglu there just crap basically.
Cheers mate and i agree that the eglu is an over priced egg box designed by a yuppie.

As for Phill's and other people's posts and concerns about this product all the points they mention are valid, but like Tweedy said read my later posts on page 1 where i took info from the manufacturers website, i have also submitted your posts to the company to answer as i do not know the long term performance of this product and as i have just bought one i will be the guinea pig and i will tell it as it is good or bad.

I hope it performs well i really do! [-o<

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 25 Feb 2010, 18:36

Here are the reply's to a few of assumptions and questions raised concerning these coops.

Garry,
See my answers inline below. Also worth checking out our FAQs on the website. Hope this helps.

rgds
Adrian Morgan

The post on Poultry Keeper is causing a bit of a debate at the moment and i cannot argue or point out things that i do not know about, here is a post from one person who needs to be informed directly from you.

Q. "I know they will overheat in this just look at it its shiney plastic which will catch the sun and heat up you see it!!!

A. Actually, they don't overheat. I had one of mine in front of a pair of galvanised metal doors in full sunlight plus reflection on the hottest day of the year, and the inside was surprisingly cool. In any event, if a house (whether wood or plastic) gets too hot the chickens will simply not occupy it and will find some other shade (which should be provided anyway). (Check out our field shelter!!)

Q. The eglu is an ideal shape and the plastic is thick but very well ventilated (it sucks in winter actually the doors freeze and everything))

A. I have six houses in operation and not one has had a frozen door this winter (unlike my wooden ones). The eglu has a honeycomb construction which, if the outer skin or joints get perforated, can be the perfect habitat for red mite. Our products are solid plastic.

Q. You would only fit bantams in that thing by first glance it looks very cramped to me, in extreme heat that style plastic will become over heated, its ideal for cleaning thats about it not worth those price not to mention a rat could easily chew through that with no problems as its very thin.

A. We do 3 sizes, the largest fits 6 birds, or 8-10 bantams. The plastic is very tough (9mm thick walls and floor) and is chew resistant (we don't claim chew-proof as a rat can gnaw through most anything but metal). However, it is less palatable to a rat than wood. And individual panels can be replaced in the event that a rat does chew through one (show me a wooden house where you can do that !).

Q. I am impressed with this as I am with Eglu's which is to say not a lot. I will all ways go with a traditional based run/coop what would be cool is if you could have a traditional looking run with a plastic egg//poop tray thats simple to clean that doesn't look like rubbish after five minutes would be cool ^^

A. incoherent rubbish

Q. It looks cheap and will probably look like 10 years old after its first year and break down with its 2nd this is what happend with my eglu and they cost a small fortune, had a nice traditional 9ft run for £40 more for nearly three months now it still looks great and none of my chooks have been got by fox's third night in the eglu I lost a chook to fox this was back when they were advertising it as fox proof.

A. After 10 years, most wooden houses are a small pile of rotten wood. With a good wash, ours will look like new. We don't advertise our runs as fox proof.

Q. you maybe getting on with it now but it will be a lot of trouble later on."

A. no evidence for this assertion?

And here is another one which is a good point from a member:

Q. Hi Gaz,not trying to pick holes in the product or anything but how would it perform under a torrential downpour of twenty or thirty minutes duration, which is not unknown to happen, just wondering with all those holes for pins and clasps it must let water in somewhere, which would be my main concern apart from the price, i do like the design and some of the ideas though.

A. The holes in the roof are all offset so that any rain that does get through washes down the outside of the house. Ingress through the joints between the walls, when the rain is wind driven, is therefore the main potential issue. In practice, because the houses are precision made, the joints are a very good fit and the rain doesn't flow through these joints to any significant extent. Also, the roof overhang gives a good degree of protection. None of our six houses have suffered from significant rain ingress. By contrast, many wooden houses rely on felt roofs, which are notorious for leaking.

So i suggest if anyone is interested they read the FAQs on the website or contact Adrian directly, i will in time post my own personal review as time goes by.

Info: http://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/infor ... 424-0.html

FAQs: http://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/frequ ... 495-0.html

And if you don't want one you do not have to buy one but putting a new product down just because it differs from the norm, especially if you have never seen one or actually tried it out is not good practice and is helpful to no-one, i posted this because i think it is a good product that may be beneficial to some people and as i have purchased one i can post how it performs compared to my 4 or so traditional wooden coops & sheds. :)

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 25 Feb 2010, 21:07

Hi Gaz,as i said in the first sentence of my post i was not trying to run down the product and think the company should be complimented for thinking outside the box, it has a lot going for it but surely the main reason for putting it on the forum was to get peoples opinions of it, some might not have been made in the best fashion but i,m sure the company would be pleased with the feedback,if not they are in the wrong business.Anyway i wish them the best of luck with it and will be very interested to hear how you get on with yours in comparison to your traditional coops, who knows i might even buy one in the future(if i win the lottery) JOKE! :lol: Regards Laffinfowl.

gazofcorra

Post by gazofcorra » 25 Feb 2010, 22:06

I know you were not running the product down and i put yours and Phill's point across to them as they have the answer's and you will notice i said "here is a good point from a member" meaning you as it was a good questionand something i did not ask or consider.

And yes i put it on Poultry Keeper for thoughts and comments as well as to make people aware of alternatives to wooden coops, especially some of the cheaply made stuff sold on ebay and a few poultry suppliers websites, but it is not a good post when people say "that will fry your birds etc" when the question should have been (won't that get too hot in direct sunlight) keep it questionable and i don't have a problem if people think it will not work or is not suitable etc that is there opinion but it is not right to say something bad about it when they have not inspected it or tried it as it will only scare or confuse newcomers, ask questions and lets try and find out the answers so others can benefit from us asking all the right questions.

Any way mine is coming tomorrow so i will let you all know what i think of it when i put it together, i won't actually be housing any birds in it for a month or so as it is for my Ko Shamo chicks that i am getting, so i will test it out with our aweful weather we are having.

Big D

Post by Big D » 26 Feb 2010, 01:36

In all honesty I think it looks a good product and thank you for highlighting it.

I've seen a recycled chicken house before..........I think it was from Solway Feeders maybe wrong :-k
It was made from thick plastic black walls. It was a very hot day when I saw it yet it was cool inside.

I have always thought that a green, tough well designed plastic chicken house would do well...........but not at that price. And unfortunately that's where they all seem to go wrong. If a British company doesn't get to grips with this issue a Chinese one will.

You can break it down and sell it by the year or the month but without a run it is a serious initial outlay for a product aimed at backyard chicken keepers on a medium to low income.

Look forward to your ongoing reviews of it though.

Phill

Post by Phill » 26 Feb 2010, 09:59

I have a traditional based run whcih I have had for over 10 years it hasn't wrottern due to being treated and well maintained over the year no rat no fox nor parasite has ever got inside.

I also have an eglu for four years in the last year alone this is what has happend and the eglu is visualy better quality then green frog

A rat has sucessfully chewed through the stupid drainege hole I do not have a rat infestation My food is kept in sealed bins with tough locks and my runs are cleaned almost daily

A fox got one of my chickens three days after the eglu >.>

My two hybrids got lice this year and I treat my runs and birds on a regular with barrier red mite powder and total red mite kill

My door has broken and the port door freazes in winter which means the eglu leaks and is not weather proof or fox proof the bars on the run are far too large big enough for any type of vermin to get in and for small wild birds to get in. I have had a flyte so fancy Hobby Hen house since November last year it still looks great and nothing has got in due to the size of the wire and good quality of the run its only draw back is like with eglu the doors freaze in winter but at least no bird has been killed by predetors. The idea is their but plastic is nothing in comparison to a good old traditional based run im just not going to pay that much for plastic after my eglu has caused me so much problems.

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 26 Feb 2010, 10:57

From your eglu experince i can understand your apprehension towards plastic housing but to be honest the eglu was a non-starter from the beginning in my opinion. Problem lies with the design not neccesarily materials used. I have seen and used wooden housing that were basically useless that doesnt mean all wooden housing is the same does it. I can understand why your dead against the green frog. But the jury is still out.

Phill

Post by Phill » 26 Feb 2010, 11:33

Id actually be interested to see how this run looks by the next winter if its still all singing and dancing

My other issue with this low floor run is comfort of cleaning its no fun cleaning coop when where kneeling beside in snow and its cold and wet and your fingers are freazing, after many experience with poultry and runs Id love my next one to be on legs so cleaning is made easier.

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 26 Feb 2010, 11:51

The answer is design and build your own, that way you only got yourself to blame when its a pain in the *** :scratch:

Phill

Post by Phill » 26 Feb 2010, 12:00

tweedy wrote:The answer is design and build your own, that way you only got yourself to blame when its a pain in the *** :scratch:

Design yes build no I have no ability to build anything which is why I envy those that can *sniff*

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 26 Feb 2010, 12:23

Bet you know someone who can ;)