New chicks

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

johnys
Chick
Chick

New chicks

Post by johnys » 07 Jul 2013, 12:40

We finally have our chicks 4 sussex hens and a Rhode island red cock 8 weeks old apparently, i am now being told of all the things i must do by well meaning friends who dont keep chickens such as they must go to the vet for vaccination, mite powder what they can and cant eat, the breeder told us what he feeds a bag of complete feed for chicks plus Ble and crushed maize, at the moment they are kept together in a large cage until they settle but they appear to be noway stressed and have no fear of us and eating well,its very hot here at the moment so kept out of the sun , advice would be very welcome as to vaccine, health products when they should be put in their pen and when they can go out into the run which is a large grass covered area
7 chickens, 2 dwarf goats, 4 Old English Sheepdogs, oh and the wife

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Re: New chicks

Post by mojo » 08 Jul 2013, 18:15

welcome..there are as many old wives tales about chooks as there are breeds........first .every thing in moderation........dont get stressed...........feed growers food for another 10 weeks and then gradually change to layers food.........Ble corn is usually given as a treat (1 handfull to 4 birds spread so they hunt for it..............I dont recommend mais as its fattening ..............most keepers dont vaccinate ..........clean conditions needed here........put into run in day make sure shade is provided ........... an old table in perfect but stand in centre of run so they cant use it as a escape pad............. and lock in coop every night.....fresh water every day.......mite powder is a good idea .....use all over except head and in armpits too(you know what i mean).................good luck tell us how you get on p.s. where are you?
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

johnys
Chick
Chick

Re: New chicks

Post by johnys » 08 Jul 2013, 18:42

Many thanks for your reply we are down in the lower Tarn, small hamlet in the montagne noire just 8k from Mazamet
7 chickens, 2 dwarf goats, 4 Old English Sheepdogs, oh and the wife