a little advice on my chooks please

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

arthursmith

a little advice on my chooks please

Post by arthursmith » 23 Aug 2010, 20:41

i wonder of anyone can shed a little light on what might be ailing some of my chooks,

a few of the hens were looking a bit bedraggled and lethargic, this i put down to a rather over-amourous indian game cock.

so i've split the 5 of them off him for a while, however a couple of them are very poorly looking, lost feathers from saddle, neck, and head. they are in poor condition and very lethargic. there are a couple who just sit around all day.

the sheds are cleaned everyfortnight, new shavings and straw put in, treated with red mite spray, and the nest boxes dusted with louse powder.

tonight we have just dusted them individually with louse powder, and one of them was 'sick' as we did it. a lot of 'watery' fluid came out of her mouth as she hung up-side down.

their water (changed daily) has a general purpose tonic (from the vet) added.

they are kept on grass (20m x 10m), fed mostly layers pellets, with just a handful of wheat very day.

they are in their 2nd year, and we get an average of 3 eggs per day from them.

any suggestions ?

arthur

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: a little advice on my chooks please

Post by tweedy » 23 Aug 2010, 20:51

One has sour crop and the rest are probably moulting.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Re: a little advice on my chooks please

Post by mojo » 24 Aug 2010, 09:03

soak ten grains of wheat/corn in olive oil and feed by hand to sicky.......give ASV at 2% dilution in a plastic/glass drinker for one week...........change water at least twice a day in warm weather....stop wheat supplement.....remove straw.....feed brocolli/kale one day in three..........make sure they have shade in sunny weather
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend