What French product to use for flystrike affected area

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Moriarty

What French product to use for flystrike affected area

Post by Moriarty » 03 Jul 2010, 15:58

I have posted in the Poultry Clinic about one of my chickens who had a mucky bum and now has tiny maggots in there. I have washed and rinsed with diluted vinegar water, and applied neat vinegar at the end. But today there are still maggots, not as many but still there so I shall repeat. But even if I get the maggots off she still has a raw area and is open to more flies laying eggs on the sore.
So what product might I be able to buy in France that I could spray or apply on the sore to keep it clean and repel or kill any fly eggs?
I've thought of cleaning it and applying neat Vaseline to 'seal' the sore ...
Last resort is to see a vet but this is rural France and chickens are definitely not seen as pets here ... I'd probably be laughed out of the surgery!
All advice appreciated.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Re: What French product to use for flystrike affected area

Post by mojo » 03 Jul 2010, 21:11

suggest trimming all bum feathers short then washing with a disinfectant(similar to dettol) then checking visually then spraying with purple antiseptic spray(gamme verte sell it) do this daily ............. sheep fly strike killer is too potent for chickens even diluted it tends to burn and could make a bad job worse( sorry to say i found out the hard way)
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 03 Jul 2010, 22:40

thanks Mojo, I can go to Gamm Vert ... do you know what the product is called? Is it specifically for chickens? Or small animals ... it would help so I know I am getting the right product.
As of this evening I cleaned her again and there were no new maggots that I could see, and applied some vaseline. She ate quite a bit of food, an encouraging sign, and went straight into the coop. Fingers crossed that I have got them all out but I will definitely go on Monday (aaaagh, Mondays in France, everything is blinking well closed! Oh well, Tuesday then) and look for some purple antiseptic.
Many thanks.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 04 Jul 2010, 21:08

cant remember the name but the description on the spray can is easy to understand....used for all small animals.....word of warning wear gloves and old clothes it STAINS but is good stuff

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 04 Jul 2010, 21:13

I think Gamme Vert is open on Mondays........je croix [-o<

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 04 Jul 2010, 21:47

ours is not open mondays i am afraid

witsinfr

Post by witsinfr » 05 Jul 2010, 06:49

The 'purple' stuff I use is called "Vétédine Solution" made by Vétoquinol. Ours is a bottle of liquid but there are sprays available.

Can't remember where we got ours from - too long ago - the stuff lasts forever.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 05 Jul 2010, 10:48

wits your website needs a little TLC its still showing apology notice

lizshereen

Post by lizshereen » 05 Jul 2010, 10:48

just go to your pharmacy and get some betadine its just 3 euros a bottle its the same as vetadine or try putting sudocrem on or the vets for spray used on all animals its bright blue so at the mo I have a bright blue coq with a bad paw but the spray goes everywhere, cannot remember the name but will check when I go up the coop.its really expensive though 20 euros best try the pharmacy betadine first, Aswell go the vets I go all the time with my chucks and they are very understanding and they know there stuff as rural France has alot of free range chicken farms and they are always getting called out to treat them, although they told me they dont get as many coming in with individual chucks, but you are paying they know what to do and they dont laugh they know how much les anglais care for their animals, good luck!!!

subruss

Post by subruss » 05 Jul 2010, 17:36

Dont need medication clean and trim or pleck feathers from around the backside and find out why her feathers are getting messed up so bad ie diet,enviroment(is she sitting in crap) suffering from something else that is giving her runny wet poo,s etc

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 05 Jul 2010, 19:32

Thanks for all replies. I got some Vetedine from the vet .... when I told him it was for a chicken he smiled and said "ah les anglais love their animals, you are famous for it!" so that wasn't as bad a reaction as I thought. Anyway, cleaned Chicken Nuggets' botty, trimmed back the feathers and applied the Vetedine and already it is looking better. She is eating again, and I gave her some cat food as a special treat, and drinking fine. Her comb is very wonky at the moment which I assume is a sign of ill health. The coop has been treated for red mite and thoroughly disinfected, fresh bedding, etc. She may have had some runny poos but then the weather has been hot and she's been eating plums that have fallen off the tree ... oh and raiding my strawberry beds, so that may be the cause of the sticky poos.
So fingers crossed that Nuggets gets through this OK and thanks for all good wishes and advice, she's a lovely little chook full of burbles and trills and funny ways ... a real sweetie.