Dog / cat food ideas

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Dog / cat food ideas

Postby MamaOwl » 16 Sep 2015, 14:25

I've been cooking for the animals for a while now... not only is it cheaper but it's not full of crap and the main reason I started (my Suzerain STUNK VILE) seems to have given me the result I wanted.. a now not vile stinking dog!

I'm looking for ideas though... I mean I know they aren't bored with their menu but I'd like some tips on baking biscuits or something for them..

anything to share?
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Re: Dog / cat food ideas

Postby MamaOwl » 16 Sep 2015, 14:26

Suzerain???? lol.... weird auto correct... Schnauzer !!!
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Postby drfish » 16 Sep 2015, 16:55

I was wondering what a Suzerain was.

I made a few of the peanut butter ones off here once. I'm epically lazy though, so it never got repeated.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/nutr ... dog-treats
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby subruss » 21 Sep 2015, 12:39

one of my friends dogs had some dietry problems and was told by the vet stop feeding dried and tinned dog foods and give him meat he now eats mainly rabbit (Raw) problems gone and there is no need to cook anything. we sometimes forget cats and dogs are carnivors :thumbright:
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby drfish » 22 Sep 2015, 10:07

Cats are carnivorous, dogs are omnivirous ;-) Even wild dogs supplement meat with plants as it helps their digestion.

But yeah, most run of the mill dog food is a concoction of wheat, rice, eyeballs, earholes and arseholes. And whatever else they scrape off the abattoir floor.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby subruss » 30 Sep 2015, 17:20

both cats and dogs will chew and swallow vegatation to help with digestive problems but that does not make them omnivores they are both carnivores
subruss

Postby drfish » 30 Sep 2015, 17:42

By definition, that makes them omnivorous. Any animal that eats vegetable matter in order to gain some sort of dietary advantage is technically omnivorous. Cats do not benefit from eating vegetation, whereas a dog can actually survive without any meat products in their diet at all.

Not starting an argument, just saying :mrgreen:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby subruss » 10 Oct 2015, 08:04

They only eat all that stuff because we force it on them and it cheaper for us. the veg they eat by choice is normally to make them selves sick. cows and sheep will sometimes eat afterbirth, does that make them omnivores. Interesting points of view it has been ages since I have read up on anything brought up on here wish there were was more of it. :thumbright:
subruss

Postby drfish » 12 Oct 2015, 17:07

Yeh, tiz rather quiet of late. And :P , you're wrong, I'm right :mrgreen:

We'll say it's a grey area, whereas feeding a cat vegetation will ultimately kill it as they can't process it.

Like me, I'm allergic to vegetation. It should serve only as decoration on a plate. :thumbright:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby subruss » 05 Nov 2015, 09:39

I am right you are wrong :lol: :lol: Although they differ somewhat from cats, dogs should be considered carnivores based on their dentition, as well as the length of their canine teeth. A dog’s teeth reflect the mechanics of the ripping and tearing of food. They also possess a shortened gastrointestinal tract, versus the longer GI tract of an omnivore or herbivore. In addition, dogs don’t have amylase, an enzyme that breaks down sugars, in their saliva, like an omnivore and herbivore would have. The relative inability to convert plant based sources of Omega-3 fatty acids into EPA and DHA is also a strong indication of carnivore status. :thumbright:
subruss

Postby drfish » 06 Nov 2015, 18:10

Ahhh, but. Domestic dogs have evolved slightly from their wild ancestors, in that they have developed the ability to digest and thrive on a starch rich diet. Something your common Wolf cannot do.

I will admit I do feed my dog a little veg, but it is only a little, mainly for vitamins and minerals. I'd say she gets 65% meat, 20% starch (pasta or rice usually) and 15% veg (green beans, sweet potato, sweetcorn, peas, carrot, all mashed up).

She certainly enjoys it more than the shop bought shite, that's for sure. Although keeping the cats off it is becoming a nightmare. Think I'm going to have to start making them some up too. :lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Return to Pets and other animals