Cat in Nest Box

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

feelag
Chick
Chick

Cat in Nest Box

Post by feelag » 09 Sep 2014, 12:44

I just discovered yesterday that our cat as decided that the chooks nest box (in an Eglu Cube) is good place to have a cosy nap each day. Does anyone have any ideas about how to stop him please or shall I leave him there and leave the chooks to boot him out (3 full grown bantams and 1 8 week old chick)?
Thanks
](*,)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Cat in Nest Box

Post by drfish » 09 Sep 2014, 16:19

You know your cat better than anyone else. If it were me, I'd be apprehensive about the chick. Most adult chickens, bantam or large fowl, will generally tell a cat where to go. Not to say a cat can't kill them, they certainly could (judging by the size of the rat deposited under my kids trampoline at the weekend). Both my cats are very wary of my chickens, but I wouldn't trust them round a youngster.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 09 Sep 2014, 17:18

hmm, don't like the sound of a cat around a chick. Your cat is obviously looking for a cosy sleeping place ... could you create something else that is shaded, with straw, but a distance away and which is obviously for the cat? And when you find the cat in the Eglu, just lift it out and put it in its own box.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

feelag
Chick
Chick

Post by feelag » 09 Sep 2014, 17:24

If I put the cat somewhere else to sit out of obtuseness he won't use it. He's already got so many comfy spots in the garden and house. I also see him regularly drinking the chooks water even with acv in it.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 10 Sep 2014, 07:24

Make the eglu nest box uncomfortable for the cat and supply a temporary nesting box for the hens. If this is close to the eglu, there's a chance that the cat may transfer, but if not, the hens have somewhere to lay.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 10 Sep 2014, 08:36

I bit of citrus may be enough to turn the cat away. They hate it with a passion. Chickens probably won't be bothered by it though. Try a bit of lemon peel or jif lemon.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.