Alpacas

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Alpacas

Postby Squidge » 20 Jun 2014, 18:30

Does anyone have any Alpaca connections? I have been looking for some time for a couple or three Alpacas as pets as I have three acres and I would like the protection for my chickens who free range. I don't want to breed from them so would settle for elderly or neutered. I can't find anything that isn't extremely expensive and yet I know that there are some out there as I often hear of rescued ones. A neighbour of mine has just got three older males a few months ago, they are well and good natured (£50 each) but he is very elderly and cannot remember where his son got them from, I think it was just a chance ad his son saw.
Anyone got any ideas? I've tried "Alpaca Finder" but nothing under £500.
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Alpacas

Postby subruss » 20 Jun 2014, 23:53

what colour eggs do they lay :)
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Squidge » 21 Jun 2014, 15:20

Sorry? This area is about other pets right?
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Postby ladyplumber » 21 Jun 2014, 15:43

Squidge please don't take the above comment in the wrong way, it was meant to be humour ....... it is allowed you know :grin:

There aren't many members on here at the weekend, so a couple of days may pass before you get a sensible response to your post - that's if anyone here can help.

Meanwhile please excuse my colleagues sarcastic wit ! :roll: :grin:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Squidge » 21 Jun 2014, 16:58

Sorry but I am a little sensitive right now having kept my chickens safe for 5 years I have just lost 17 chickens to a fox when my partner took the electric fence down for maintainence and "forgot" to put it back up!!!! Together with the fact that this morning my neighbour's chickens were killed (no fence at all) and I got an abusive call from them at 8am blaming ME as I am anti hunt!!!!! You couldn't make it up! I thought I'd posted in the wrong place, I didn't really think.
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Postby kated » 21 Jun 2014, 18:01

So sorry to hear about your fox visit, it always so heartbreaking and to have your neighbours sticking their oar in can't improve matters. As to alpacas, although I have never kept them, we do have an alpaca farm near us which I have visited several times and can vouch for, although it isn't very near you.

http://www.azsualpacas.com

Hope someone else can be more helpful.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby organic chick » 21 Jun 2014, 19:54

It may be worth contacting a rescue place such as http://www.llamarescue.co.uk. They have alpacas too. They may only be able to give advice but you never know. There is an alpaca farm in derbyshire somewhere but not sure where. Good luck and don't let those pesky neighbours get under your skin. Let us know how things pan out.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby Squidge » 21 Jun 2014, 20:41

Thanks guys for your kind comments and suggestions I am checking them out.
The neighbours parting shot was "you were rude to the hunt and that's why they don't come down here anymore....Wrong, they don't come down here because hunting foxes is agains't the law!!! Then they spat out "AND, by law you are not allowed to keep 50 chickens without a licence"!
I am because I checked first. There's no excuse for ignorance.
I live in a very rural place 400yds from neighbours so there's no problems with proximity, noise etc
I also lost 25 of my flock to Marecks over the last year which was devastating enough, these are poor little rescue ex batts and some disabled chickens, there's no excuse for complete ignorance. Also, their chickens were so valuable to them that they kept them in plywood Arks which a Badger turned over two weeks ago and killed half of them. They still didn't get an electric fence and they are very wealthy people.
Squidge
Chick
Chick

Postby subruss » 22 Jun 2014, 11:04

I think you are supposed to register your birds with defra if you have 50 or more poultry :-$ I can only count to 49 :) , I don't think chicks count if they are to be sold on. Fox attacks can happen to anybody and its not a nice experience and there are many reasons why it happens, as for your political argument about foxes there are two sides to that story and strong feeling on both sides. You can hunt foxes just not with dogs so just arrange for somebody to shoot them to keep them under control, I do know that uncontrolled fox numbers can cause real problems and not just for poultry keepers. :) . Just remember alpacas only chase foxes off during the day so a night attack is still possible.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 22 Jun 2014, 11:44

When I was last at BARLING POULTRY the lady there was trying to rehome 3 Alpacas...
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Return to Pets and other animals