really stupid problem

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

really stupid problem

Post by milkmaid » 24 Feb 2009, 23:12

ok i have a really stupid problem and i mean silly and it is anouying the heck out of me
i'm scared of riley there i said it :(
i love horses :grin: ,i was a stable hand years ago ,loaned a horse ,would ride just about anything 8)
dreamed of one day owning my own ,still do ,
i've never been that bothered by riding just loved horses ,riley is coming along in leaps and bounds ,he's now able to be rugged ,pick all his hooves up ,had his leg bandages on and has no malise in him what so ever ,ali and oh who has no horse experience what so ever can groom him ,i really reliesed i had a problem on sunday when gizzy said come in and give him a groom i was fine watching him over a door ,i'm fine at a distance or a few feet away advising how i would do it ,ands i was even fine with join up in the feild a few weeks ago but i've been handed the lead rope a few times and i really don't want to
,it's now got to horses up close in a stable ect and leading which is nuts ,and silly ,the last time i rode i rode young paddy had a lovely hack ,since then i've been near a dartmoor pony leaned one her back and would have taken her home ,the ownly thing i can think of is his age ,was dragged around a yard ,by a 2 year old into walls ect and one of the warmbloods that i used to work ,with reared struck out at my head ,and put 2 other people in hospital ,i must admit i've ridden very rarely over the years ,but my last 2 experences were nice ,how an earth am i going to get over this ,if i'm tense being a youngester he'll be as well ,he was very jumpy when we first got him which as he was a meat pony was expected,any ideas :oops: :crybaby:,any techneques that might help ,
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Re: really stupid problem

Post by Gilly C » 24 Feb 2009, 23:34

Have you still got the other pony ? maybe hacking out on something bomb proof will get you your confidence back ! we were buying one went to try it out newly broken but told it was bombproof, youngest daughter got on was riding around the field got to the side near road a juggernaut came past spooked horse came around 2 1/2 side of field at full gallop with her still on board heading for where we were waiting by gate still at full gallop !!! I was wondering whether he would attempt the gate or refuse and throw her, luckily she didn't give him chance and jumped off he managed to stop, neither were hurt she landed standing, but she lost her confidence only 12 at the time :( anyway we had an exchange student coming from Austria who wanted to go riding, I rang the stables in the dales and explained he said don't worry I have just the horse the stables were owned by Lady Masham all Highlands anyway we arrived until we got there she had no idea and agreed to the ride, 3 hour hack, which was perfect she even asked could we buy her mount, and her confidence was restored :) we went back to stables to try again they did riding for the disabled and her partner was blacksmith so we gave them a second chance this time they gave us a beautiful mare on loan with a view to purchase , I smelled a rat when she wasn't shod but told they had been busy, well her personality changed we later discovered due to drugs wearing off though she was stunning to look at, twice bitten we got one on loan and happily kept him for a couple of years until eldest was due to go to uni so I sent him home as I knew if he stayed then she would too ! I hope you can find a horse / pony to practise on. I am a bit the other way far too confident with all animals, so far with no accidents but you are right they do have a second sense, massive Good Luck x

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 25 Feb 2009, 08:31

that the funny thing gilly c i normally over confident ,to be honest i've never been that bothered about riding ,oh loves riley enjoys working with and helping with riley and doesn't even mind with the other horses at the stables ,the second horse he's ever lead was when we got riley ,first was a 25 year old pony with kerri on his back at 18 months ,turned around the other day star a thoughbred had been handed to him ,he does say all this is now my fault both the nonie and gizzy both ride ,gizzy is getting along really well and riley is great ,nonie rides a horse ,both enjoy dessage ,unfortunatly the other horse went to another loan home after he pushed over one of the other girls at the stable and kicked out norrowly missing another girl who is 6 months pregent ,if it was our own yard it wouldn't have been a problem but the yard rileys at is perfect so he had to go back and holly's hand is healed
gizzy loves him but i've found he's ok but not that honest ,i really don't know what the problem is unless it's those first couple of things that happened many years ago
unfortunatly there are really no ponies or horses here like that ,i don't think apart from young paddy i've meet anyone who has a confidence giver here so it'll just have to somehow be desensitize to riley [-o< ,told you it was a stupid problem ;) :oops: and the worse thing is i still love horses and ponies ,and the smell of horse ;) and i could understand it if i'd have been hurt the last few timnes that i had ridden or handled but i haven't or if i didn't like them but i do ,maybe it's because i always tended to like plodders and he is a bit flashy :shock:
suz

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 25 Feb 2009, 11:11

I rode in Jamaica 2 years ago having not been on a horse for a number of years, hard to get off when your hip locks :( I stopped riding partly cos of that and also being aware that I won't bounce anymore (pushing 60) but I had alwasy wanted to swim on a horse so we did, had a wonderful ride up into the mountains just me and Dave and 2 guides we were all on stallions :roll: then into the sea and wow !!!! Daves couldn't get his to go out as far as mine went but then he has never really been horsey though his Dad was a groom and his brother had a pony but he was 10 years older I was worried I would be stiff the next day but after sitting in the jacuzzi we were fine the warm humid climate must have helped. You will after just visit Riley as much as possible so he gets to know and trust you in the stable and the field, I am sure with persaverance you will get your confidence back

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 25 Feb 2009, 12:49

It's not stupid Suz....something is wrong, and you're noticing that. Gut feelings are important, so don't overlook them. I can't help you, but would suggest you pay good attention to how you feel and take your time.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 25 Feb 2009, 16:49

I agree with NannyP on this one so this may not work but see what you think. When I was 8 my Grandpa taught me to ride and I was scared of the horse too. Grandpa was a cavalry officer in WW1 and wouldn't have any truck with scaredy cats. He told me that my horse needed to be watched carefully and he put a stool in the corner of the stable and I had to stay there for an hour. I wasn't allowed out of the stable until the hour was up. Of course sitting still and 8 years old don't go well together but I didn't stay scared of the horse for more than about 10 minutes.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 25 Feb 2009, 18:22

i'll make sure that next time i'm off,i spend time think i'll do it on my own ,quitely ,i have been in with him and picked his feet up ,and stroked him and done a bit of grooming but strangley it's getting worse not better,i'll just plod on i think and nip up and sort him myself that way i'll have to do it ,it justs seems strange ,riley tends to nip/groom you if you stay still to long he's a lovely horse just he's a thoughbred x ,instead of the nice quite ploders i tend to like ;) :oops:
thank you your help i do feel silly ,about it i used to ride fresh horses from southall ,to see what they were like so this to me is really frustrating ,maybe the bouncing thing has a lot to do with it :grin:
sounds like a good idea kated
suz

bronskibeat
Hen
Hen

Post by bronskibeat » 25 Feb 2009, 19:49

Thats a shame Suz :(
I was wondering why you said he was Ok but not that honest? What has he done to make you feel this way about him? (not being bolshy, just trying to establish if this is what has caused your problem :grin: :grin: ) Are you better with him if he's out of his stable or are you just unsure of him if you are in close proximity in a confined space? How do you feel if Gizzy or Nonie are there when you're in the stable? The same, better or worse? It sounds like a confidence problem to me, do you feel the same with any/all the other horses on the yard or just with Riley?
Why dont you approach this like you would if you had a difficult dog in for retraining? As you know, a heck of a lot of it is dictated by body language and he will pick up on this. Just do very short spells at a time and use the same body language and methods you did for join up (without the pushing/driving him away bits!!) I wouldnt pick his feet out at the moment, it is a vulnerable position to be in and takes good confidence. As he is a baby he will learn very quickly that you are nervous when doing this and could begin to play you up which will only make it more difficult for your confidence :( I had a youngster who was excellent in all respects except for when he injured himself and needed treating which was all the time as he shot up from 16 to 18.3 and couldnt keep up with himself balance-wise (no, not Louis!!) He got a tread wound on the inside of a back foot and I was cleaning it up one day when he lamped me good and proper across the stable. He got me on the thigh and split the muscle, god it hurt :roll: I was extremely wary of him for some time after that and he developed a habit where he would slam his back feet back on the ground a few seconds after you picked them up. It ended up with the farrier having to sort him out for me which I hated as it was most probably my fault in the first place :oops: :( :( It took a while for me to be really confident around him again but I did it with perseverance.
Just take things very slowly with Riley, talk to him without patting/touching him to begin with until you feel really confident doing that, then progress to the next step keeping things really slow. Its a real bore, but it will come back to you, have faith in yourself and your abilities girl ;) :grin: :grin:
Blue is best

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 25 Feb 2009, 20:20

Dave is a bit frightened of Chicco (my parrot) as he nips his ears so tends to thrash his arms around which makes things worse he is also scared to stroke his head which he loves so far we have mastered the ear biting by Dave wearing a ski band when Chicco is loose next it will have to be the stroking but wearing gloves sometimes he just nips others he hangs on but never with me :roll: however it is only Dave who Chicco will play ball with on the floor !! it is just strategies , I am sure you can do it !

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 25 Feb 2009, 23:53

MM, it's not silly at all, listen to your instincts and they'll guide you.

I had my own horse many moons ago and he was a confidence giver and i could do anything with him and subsequently I was happy around others with due caution.

however I have been helping a friend with her horses lately and i'm really cautious, very aware of the back ends :roll: and it's taken me lots of courage to even run my hands down their legs (horses not really handled).

I put it down to being a long time since handling coupled with getting older.........you become more wary.

I have started again by feeding them from the safe side of the fence :lol: and talking a lot to them (total rubbish conversation says OH :grin: ) to stroking their mane (still on safe side!) to stroking neck to withers etc.

I'm now at lifting front!!! legs up.

Take your time, I definitely think a TB as opposed to 'plodder' is a valid point.

you'll get there, don't be too hard on yourself. x

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 01 Mar 2009, 16:04

wwwooo i just lead him out and brought him in and groomed him ,was by myself with ali ,must admit felt sick and as soon as i felt any tensing got him to stand up ,
shows it was stupid of me
suz

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 02 Mar 2009, 10:25

Not stupid at all....little steps make for big results, well done =D>