Poor Bill

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Poor Bill

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 17 Feb 2009, 10:51

Bill is my 18 month old wire haired Parsons Russell, he is a devil for putting his whole face in the sheep troughs/water bowls and for that reason I keep his face/muzzle trimmed. I did this only 10 days ago so what happened this weekend was very scarey!!! Saturday night he was in his usual sleeping position - up side down - when I noticed a lump about the size of a small pea between his top lip and nose (on the side of his muzzle). By the time I took him to the vet yesterday morning the lump has grown to the size of a very large marrowfat pea!!!! I expected to be told that it was a cyst only for them to keep him in and operate immediately . Picked him up at 5pm last night, very dopey, with half his faced shaved and quite a few stitches - plus a "lampshade" to stop him scratching the stitches - and looking very sorry for himself. They managed to remove the lump and some surrounding skin and have sent it off for analysis (definately not a cyst!), quite worrying as it appeared so suddenly and grew so quickly. On tenterhooks now awaiting the results .
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

CP

Re: Poor Bill

Post by CP » 17 Feb 2009, 10:55

Ooh, poor Bill! :( I hope all will be well with the results.Image
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 17 Feb 2009, 13:47

A good thing you keep his face trimmed! Fingers crossed for the results.

:-)

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 17 Feb 2009, 18:45

oh no poor bill :(
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 17 Feb 2009, 20:58

Poor Bill, fingers crossed that it's nothing sinister

Bhindi
Hen
Hen

Post by Bhindi » 17 Feb 2009, 22:21

Oh ! I thought you were leading up to saying it was a tick... now Im sorry it wasnt.. I am hoping as it swelled so quickly you might find out that its nothing sinister.... heres hoping.xx
I 'still' don't eat things that had a face!

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 18 Feb 2009, 09:27

Thanks all, going back to the vets tomorrow and hopefully the results will be back. Bill is fine, except he doesn't like his "lampshade" - but it hasn't stopped him eating or putting it in the sheep trough! :grin: . He is such a happy chap, loves everybody and everything, the vets comment was "he's a great little guy with such a wonderful charactor" - we are just keeping everything crossed!
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 18 Feb 2009, 23:07

that's good news, hopefully he'll be ok, fingers crossed. [-o<

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 18 Feb 2009, 23:08

good luck tomorrow
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

Auntie Katie
Hen
Hen

Post by Auntie Katie » 19 Feb 2009, 14:02

How did he get on?
====== :dog:============================================================= :dog: =====

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 20 Feb 2009, 09:50

Sorry for not getting back yesterday - computer went on meltdown for some reason.

Anyway, Bill is healing fine, the lump was a growth (something unpronouncable) but the vet says he is confident Bill will be fine as they got it all - nothing in the surrounding skin or inside his mouth. Also where it was means it won't have spread to any lymph nodes - they are also confident it won't come back and he won't need any treatment. Phew! Thanks for keeping me sane everyone =D> .
Chris

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 20 Feb 2009, 10:12

That's really good news! :grin:

CP

Post by CP » 20 Feb 2009, 10:24

So glad to hear that Chris! :grin: :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Auntie Katie
Hen
Hen

Post by Auntie Katie » 20 Feb 2009, 14:07

That is really good news, I hope he's all healed up soon.
====== :dog:============================================================= :dog: =====

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 21 Feb 2009, 11:25

REally good news, so good you were able to spot it in time. Big cuddle for Bill :grin: