Can cats get frostbite?

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

closer2

Can cats get frostbite?

Post by closer2 » 10 Feb 2009, 14:42

One of my ragdolls, a rather enormous blue colourpoint called Elwood, has suddenly developed a folded over top half to one of his ears. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, and it looks very rakish :grin: , but I was thinking of showing him and obviously tilted ears aren't in the breed standard(!).

Could this have happened when he was out on a very cold day? None of the other cats seem to have had any similar problems. None of them spend significant amounts of time outside at the moment, BTW.

Duckie

Re: Can cats get frostbite?

Post by Duckie » 10 Feb 2009, 19:53

frostbite would be a black colour, folded over sounds more like blunt instrument style trauma!

I would take him to the vet - when I was a kid we had a cat whose tail folded over one day and the end dropped off a couple of weeks later, we think he must have been hit by a car but he seemed perfectly happy hence no vets visit until the tail was no more :shock:

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 10 Feb 2009, 19:55

I seem to remember someone on here having a cat with a bent ear after contact with an electric fence could it be that ?

closer2

Post by closer2 » 11 Feb 2009, 10:40

The electric fence is certainly a possibility, as we have just installed a poultry net in the back garden. Maybe he walked into it! I'll try and find the other thread, as I'd love to know whether the other cat's ear recovered.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 11 Feb 2009, 10:59

I think it did but took a while, there were photographs too, but I think some chat posts get deleted automatically if it was in chat, look in the pet section maybe one of the mods will be able to help I hope he recovers and goes on to win rosettes for you.