dressage

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

scottish vamps

Post by scottish vamps » 05 Sep 2008, 23:17

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh, i know. just text the woman who as him at moment to make sure the storm has hit her yet. she's such a lovely woman! was it just one she sent?

IrishLass

Post by IrishLass » 13 Oct 2008, 22:58

I would really like to do some proper dressage with my fella in the future. it is nice to watch, especially freestyle to music is amazing sometimes, admittedly watching repetitive tests can get a bit boring after a while. As for people thinking it's cruel, you can't force a horse to do something, it'll all about training. when you think about it, is it cruel to train a dog to sit? it's the same thing really. of course there is cruelty in every sport and one method I don't agree with is Rollkur which can damage the horse physically, I used to be a huge fan of Anky Van Grunsven until I found out that she was using this method on her horse Salinero.
I do think a certain level of schooling is essential for all riding whether you intend going further into dressage or not, it is more comfortable for the horse and makes his job of carrying his rider easier when he is encouraged to carry himself well and be light on the forehand.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 14 Oct 2008, 18:21

well said. i know so many horses here that no one will school and then wander why they don't go properly. its a shame most now need so much work that no one bothers and let it be the normal. mine lad was started on free schooling, and join up today.he enjoyed is now knackered at stables. giz here by the way. pics irish lass!!!!!
ok random tho what is the rollkur technique so i can avoid it!!!!
giz
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Loudmouth Schnook
Hen
Hen

Post by Loudmouth Schnook » 15 Oct 2008, 07:29

Hey Giz - lovely pics of your new lad - what a cutey. I also noticed some 'stolen' pics of my boys on this thread! :lol: Sadly we had to sell one of our boys as we didn't have enough land to sustain them both, so the bigger one went - though he was the superior horse. He's now in a good home and recently did his first show on the island, coming away with a few ribbons! The remaining Paddy is a laid back cob who prefers driving to riding and if he had his druthers, work wouldn't enter his vocabulary at all! He is definitely a horse that could not be made to do dressage no matter how hard you tried - not interested (as well as not having floating paces, more like stumbling, lumpy paces.... am I right Giz?)
Fortunately Ah keep ma feathuhs numbuhed for, for just such an emuhgency...

www.hebridean-life.com

"If you can't be good, at least be honest!"

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 15 Oct 2008, 19:25

he's lovely ,i've seen him do some nice work :D.but he can be lazy :wink:
i'm getting confidence back ,and we are making friends ,but gizzy is his best friend :wink:
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

scottish vamps

Post by scottish vamps » 15 Oct 2008, 20:01

nope he doesn't float but he has such drive in his rear when he's going well. he can be forward going, just not that often and depends on moods of both riders and horse. as ever!

megnum

Re: dressage

Post by megnum » 26 Feb 2009, 19:27

Not read it all but I disagree with the theory horses shouldn't be made to do dressage. If so why should they do jumping, cross country, driving, ploughing etc? My friend gives the excuse for her horse working flat, off the bit etc as that is not how she naturally goes why should I make her yet she makes her jump round at shows?

SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Post by SkyChild » 27 Feb 2009, 11:53

I can understand where people are coming from saying that the horse looks like it's been forced to do it... but if they think about it, it's almost impossible to do that - they're much heavier than us, and have strong wills and free spirits. I'd ask your OH if he'd try and make something that big do soemthing it didn't want to. Puts it into perspective a bit, doesn't it? Shows him that the horse wouldn't do it unless he wanted to.

Those dales are lovely (I love it when "carthorses" go to shows and do well, especially if people have talked them down beforehand)
I love coloured horses too. My favourite riding-school horse was Springer, a huge coloured gelding. Galloping in summer fields... can't beat it.
*Sigh* I'd love a horse...

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 27 Feb 2009, 13:24

When I got my horse (years ago as a teenager) he was an unschooled horror.

I had no formal riding training having learnt from being put on a horse and hanging on :lol:

A little bit of help from an 'AI' who had a horse grazed with mine and a lot of reading mean't I was able to turn my lad around so we always came away with ribbons in riding classes and i'll never forget the day 'we' did a half pass :roll: :lol:

Sadly my total lack of experience meant we didn't improve on that but I agree a horse will only do what it wants to do but i'd love had the chance to do proper dressage.