Experienced one or Chubby one?

Moderator: Moderators

stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk
Chick
Chick

Experienced one or Chubby one?

Post by stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk » 08 Jan 2014, 23:48

i Have a Ex-Battery hen probely about 5 years old and has has gone broody both year iv had her as well as successfully hatching and rasieing chicks. I also have a Orpingtons which i think will go broody but never raised chick before and i reckon i can get quite a few eggs under her. So i will have a choice of who to put in the broody coop this year. Which ones best to go with. Or maybe both? ive never seen these 2 have a problem with each over before.
i have 3 ex battry hens, 2 L. Sussex ,2 Bluebelle, 1 Speckled, 2 rhode rock and 2 white leghorns, 1 gray Orpingtons. And 2 cockrel a rhode rock and a light sussex cross Rhode rock
my diffrent pet are my golden retriever, two cats, one guinea pig and a lot of fish and my horse

ladyplumber

Re: Experienced one or Chubby one?

Post by ladyplumber » 09 Jan 2014, 00:15

If they both go broody at the same time, I wouldn't put them in one broody coop together.

Once hormones/motherhood kicks in, what was a placid relationship previously can turn into possible chick injury or worse - you may be lucky with them both, but personally I wouldn't risk it and would house them separately.

Also a broody hen sometimes pinches eggs from other hens, so possibly uneven incubation or even egg damage in the process :roll: :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Chick
Chick

Post by stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk » 09 Jan 2014, 00:29

as i only have one coop for a broody hen which one do u think is should go with?
i have 3 ex battry hens, 2 L. Sussex ,2 Bluebelle, 1 Speckled, 2 rhode rock and 2 white leghorns, 1 gray Orpingtons. And 2 cockrel a rhode rock and a light sussex cross Rhode rock
my diffrent pet are my golden retriever, two cats, one guinea pig and a lot of fish and my horse

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 09 Jan 2014, 00:35

I would go with the experienced ex-battery one to be honest.

The Orpington may turn out to be a very good broody, but if you're wanting to hatch what could be expensive eggs I'd go with what you know :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 09 Jan 2014, 11:08

I would go with the ex-batt too.

But it is worth remembering that you don't have to use a special broody coop. I have an old rabbit hutch that I use, and they can be picked up very cheap (or even free). Even a box in a secure environment would be fine. I have found broodies behind planks, in holes in the wall, up on rafters - all sorts of hiding places.

And like LP, I'd avoid putting two of them together.

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 09 Jan 2014, 13:19

x-bat. orps are big but they are also heavy and clumsy and that can result in accidents with chicks until she has learnt from experience

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 09 Jan 2014, 18:10

I'd also go with your proven ex-bat hen. In my experience bantam orps make great Mums but some LF can be very clumsy.

Chick
Chick

Post by stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk » 09 Jan 2014, 18:51

Thxs

Chick
Chick

Post by stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk » 09 Jan 2014, 18:54

But it is worth remembering that you don't have to use a special broody coop. I have an old rabbit hutch that I use, and they can be picked up very cheap (or even free). Even a box in a secure environment would be fine. I have found broodies behind planks, in holes in the wall, up on rafters - all sorts of hiding places.
The Only problem i cant just leave them in the run or a spare stable cause theres a farm near me with 10s of crazy gigantic rat killing cats that would pick up a chick as a light snack

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 11 Jan 2014, 10:21

I'd use both but put them in seperate runs & don't worry about the cats - broody hens with chicks can be pretty nasty & good at holding their own x
A country lass who loves it all x.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 12 Jan 2014, 08:37

Use the proven one. If the Orp goes broody after the first clutch has been raised, try her out with a second clutch. That way you'll get one clutch raised and give the orp a chance to prove her worth, or not.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.