refridgerate or not

Moderator: Moderators

andysod907
Chick
Chick

refridgerate or not

Post by andysod907 » 05 Dec 2013, 05:50

What would the general opinion be on whether to keep your eggs in the fridge or not. I have read differing opinions over the years but a couple of weeks ago my wife bought 6 eggs and when I looked at them it stated on the carton to keep in the fridge, first time I ever saw this on eggs. Andy

nickyc
Chick
Chick

Re: refridgerate or not

Post by nickyc » 05 Dec 2013, 08:18

I never keep eggs in the fridge, never have done. I read somewhere that keeping them too cold damages the albumen. I've never had any problems with storage of the eggs with them not being in the fridge - they last just as long! :grin:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 05 Dec 2013, 10:31

I find they last longer at a cool room temperature, like pantry sort of temps. I never put them in the fridge though.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 06 Dec 2013, 10:52

I have always put eggs into the fridge, even those I intend to incubate. In view of the hatch rates, I don't think it does them any harm at all. Once they would be stored in a cool larder, but this facility no longer exists in modern houses.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

subruss

Post by subruss » 06 Dec 2013, 16:03

Henwife wrote:I have always put eggs into the fridge, even those I intend to incubate. In view of the hatch rates, I don't think it does them any harm at all. Once they would be stored in a cool larder, but this facility no longer exists in modern houses.
Well the power companies have solved that problem,we can not affort to heat our houses anymore so no fridge required :lol: . I never keep my eggs in a fridge just a cool place :thumbright: .

CP

Post by CP » 26 Dec 2013, 12:48

Never kept any eggs in the fridge, even before I got my own hens. Shops don't keep them in fridges either & I believe when stored before going to the shops they are only kept cool, not refrigerated as such. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 26 Dec 2013, 17:13

I always keep mine the fridge - that way the temperature is constant. http://egginfo.co.uk/frequently-asked-q ... about-eggs