will pullets lay this year

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: will pullets lay this year

Post by drfish » 11 Dec 2013, 13:37

Still nothing from lady yet, and the others have also slowed down to about 2 or 3 a week now. Ducks still firing them out like an assembly line though :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 11 Dec 2013, 17:12

those ducks are worth their weight in gold arnt they df ? I'm getting about three per day from the older moulting lot (hens that is ) and around three per day from the five of the pullets which have started laying ,so not so bad.Its keeping us in eggs and supplying the odd box to my little band of egg buyers. I have to say that the quality of the pullet eggs both in shell quality and content is far superior despite being on the same regime so youth and health must be making the difference.

drfish

Post by drfish » 12 Dec 2013, 13:16

They are for me, I love duck eggs. They do seem to be a bit 'marmite' with some people, whereas, I just think they're a tastier version of a chicken egg. And by all accounts, way better for cake and pastry chefs.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 16 Dec 2013, 21:57

yes, I'm abit like that with duck eggs df. I think it stems from when soemone gave my son a load of goose eggs, not the same I know but the whites were like leather when cooked and I never tried one.Dear son soon sickened himself , one of them would make half a dozen omelettes.

drfish

Post by drfish » 17 Dec 2013, 10:04

The trick I've found with duck eggs is to cook them slow and steady, without over-cooking them. I'll always fry them on the lowest heat for the hob, and always flip them due to the increased salmonella risk ducks pose. But I've mastered getting them just about right now. Chicken eggs are way easier to work with when it comes to frying, but everything else seems to cook about the same. Not tried a goose egg yet, but a guy at work is going to bring me one in when his start laying again next year.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 17 Dec 2013, 11:04

Hi df , i even cook my hen eggs slow.the pullets especially have to be cooked slow otherwise the white stay soft inside and although some might like them like that I like the best of both worlds , a runny yolk and a firm white.I never ate eggs for years because bought eggs spreading all over the pan were a real turn off. Thats the main reason I had the hens so that I could have a nice fresh egg and not some thing laid last month.
The pullets are averaging four eggs a day now .They're 32 weeks old now.