Sexing Q, could they be sex linked in someway?

Moderator: Moderators

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Sexing Q, could they be sex linked in someway?

Post by Woodland Hen » 24 Oct 2013, 16:00

Hi all

I have 11 growers that hatched a while back ( I can't remember when :shock: ) I am having trouble sexing them. I have taken 3 lots of photos now to put on here none of which are very good, so just wondering from their very mixed parentage if we can tell.

Dad was a pure rir. Mum was a cracking layer, she was from a partridge Wyandotte hen and a barred Plymouth rock cock after a hen went broody last spring and arrived back in the yard with 16 chicks. Mum was barred with a cushion comb.

When they hatched there were 4 black chicks, 2 white chicks and 5 ginger ones. The 2 white ones are def males, they sport mums cushion comb. 3 black ones are female and now look like blackrocks with a single comb, the other black chick looks barred and is male again cushion comb. The ginger ones have me stumped. I Was pretty sure they were all girls but am now not so sure. All the ginger ones have a single comb.

Could the single/ cushion comb be sex linked in this way?

If I can figure out how to get pics off my iPad I will put them on!
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

CP

Re: Sexing Q, could they be sex linked in someway?

Post by CP » 25 Oct 2013, 02:39

As far as I am aware, the comb has nothing to do with them being male or female. ;) And I think you can only get a 'sex-link' with both parents being pure breeds.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will confirm/deny this! :|
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 25 Oct 2013, 09:03

I think CP has right. But as for sexing see this thread - http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/vi ... 34#p386234

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Woodland Hen » 25 Oct 2013, 09:31

Oh well. May try again with pics, they must be at least 12 weeks old. Fairly sure they are girls but there are just 2 who confuse me, slightly more developed wattles and comb, but still relatively fine legs and hackle/ tail feathers somewhere in between rounded and pointy, but the 3 I think are girls are the same. I suppose another 4 weeks and it will be obvious. If I have got 8 girls they at least 3 will be looking for a new home.
These have proved as hard to sex as the light sussex, but I got those right so maybe I should just trust my judgement.
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 25 Oct 2013, 21:48

Your hen is sired by a Barred Rock. Therefore she is both silver and barred. The RIR father is gold and unbarred. This is therefore a double, sex linked mating. Anything silver or barred is male. Anything unbarred or gold is female. Combs are not sex linked so these can be randomly distributed between the sexes.
If you have nothing
Give it away

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Woodland Hen » 26 Oct 2013, 19:21

Hurray! Thanks hen-gen 7 pullets 3 cockerels, the kind of ratio I like!